Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Cheoy Lee

Where Did They Go?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by DOCKMASTER, Dec 19, 2020.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Good posts in this thread and I think you are all spot-on. I just replied to a PM and thought I would copy/paste it here...

I posted a disclaimer awhile back that political posts would be stripped without explanation. For 17 years I've fought behind the screen battles to keep YF amicable and relevant. One of those battles was Marmot. For years, I fielded requests from numerous members asking to remove him, but the tougher skinned wanted him to stay. Marmot was like a cancer on a forum. He responded to people in a condescending and demoralizing way. It was killing reader interest and participation. Dick Boggs was a study in dichotomy; in-person one of the nicest people I've met. Behind a keyboard; a total sphincter.

In the early years I walked a tightrope to keep everyone happy or from losing key members, but I believe YF has evolved as much as a resource as it is a community. The knowledge base we've accumulated - thanks to well-informed members - isn't going anywhere. In answer to your question: yes, it is preferable to close a thread because I don’t want to be caught in the middle. It also sends a message that if you litter the forums, it will become refuse. Eventually the person doing this realizes that he or she is wasting their time.
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I want to address the subject title: Where Did They Go?

K1W1: we were D A M N lucky that Brendon took up residence on YF. I believe he still checks in on the forums from time-to-time. As much as we would all like to see him continue to participate, I really hope (at this stage in his life) he's doing something that has nothing to do with boats. He's earned it!! If you don't already know, Brendon is brilliant, but he's also incredibly funny if you can keep up with how fast he talks & thinks. What was more amazing is he was overseeing multiple superyachts in-build, juggling hundreds of contractors, suppliers, etc and he still found time to engage and educate us everyday.

PacBlue: I'm afraid this may have been my fault. I made a post saying "I have yet to see a Viking run level". He stepped in and questioned my comment, rightly so. No sportfish runs dead level, but in my experience the bow of every Viking SF I've been on (which is only a few) runs bow high, even with tab. This was the thread...

https://www.yachtforums.com/threads/sportfish-videos.33481/#post-301300

PacBlue stopped posting immediately thereafter. He works for a company that is a marine industry supplier to Viking and just about every other yacht builder in the world, so my comment may not have been well-received. Whatever happened, we were extremely lucky to have PacBlue participate on YF. Like the rest of you, I miss his posts too. They were incredibly informative and accurate, which is what we all strive for around here. I truly hope PacBlue is OK and he returns one day.
  3. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Well said, Carl! I personally hope, that Your great country will settle down and reunite after this awfull politcal battle. Lets keep politics out of YF and concentrate on the second best thing in the world: BOATS !!!!!

Merry Christmas to all of You and a happy new year. Stay healthy and lets keep up this great forum.

HTMO9
  4. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

Absolutely agree about Kiwi being extremely helpful. When we were purchasing our current C12 powered boat, I figured YF is a good resource and why not send a PM to the guy with a Cat badge in his profile. He was extremely helpful, even taking the time to look at some documents and talk on the phone over the weekend while he was watching his favorite (not american) football team. While some of the political BS gets a little old, this is definitely one of the best sites I visit containing a wealth of information from professional people that have been there before.

Max
  5. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

I've gotten to know more than one person like that, and It always has me scratching my head. Maybe it's like dyslexia, or color blindness. Maybe some people just don't have the ability to sound out in their head what they just wrote and how it could possibly come across.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Marmot scolded my rear a couple of times. And ya know, he was correct.
    At the time, I did not appreciate the teeth scars.
    I do miss him.
    I do trust K1W1 is on to more great projects. I do miss him also.
    During the many years I have been here, These two kids did teach me a lot.
    I'm just returning and did not realize PacBlue was absent. I hope he comes back.
    I hope they are safe and well as an ally would wish upon them.
    These folks are in the know of great aspects way above our pay grades.
    Just sad the keyboard did not translate all of their skills and knowledge sets well enough, to not sometimes, step on some toes.

I remember texting with Judy a ways back. There are others that have blessed YF and left.
    Other knowledgeable folks with patience or keyboard issues also.

With in the limits of a keyboard, patience does gets thin.
    This does work both ways.

I fear my own patience has been thin a few times also.
    I want to apologizes to my friends here for your toes I may have stepped on.

However sadly, I do have to mention, some still need a serious toe stomping.
    My entertainment on that is beyond this post.

Thank you my friends
    ,Ralph
  7. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Gravey? Who said gravey?
    [​IMG]
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have seen several of the mid-sized Viking SF.....Let's say in the 55'-75' size with after planes (with a downward rake) permanently bolted on the transom between the tunnels (from the factory) to try to fix them from running too bow high......so your statement has merit.