Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Burger

When having a yacht built...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by FlyingGolfer, Feb 6, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

What is the experience like to observe the construction? We are not going to do a custom boat, just a Westport probably. So, how much time is recommended to spend with her as she is being built?
    costalive likes this.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

PM olderboater
  3. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

LOL. I intend to. Olderboater is my I Ching, my Sum of All Wisdom.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

He knows my philosophies. I'm sure he's looking here for others.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It depends on the stages. Also the yard. Certain times of the build the yard will not allow you to inspect such as when they're laying up the hull. I would want to see 1. once the hull is laid up and the day it is popped out of the mold. 2. After most/all of the machinery is installed in the hull. 3. the lower level cabins and such, the installation of the salon floor level, the cap being put on, and as things progress.
  6. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

I will say it's out of my league such a purchase and yacht as yours, but you are laying out a lot of money and it is still a semi custom yacht . I would visit as much as you want if I were you. It's your new baby and it's a very exiting time. Screw ups do happen it might be good to catch any before it becomes a bigger problem .
    And what Capt J said check it out over various stages of the build .
  7. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

I guess it is a very enjoyable time, watching the build.
  8. BRyachts

BRyachts Member

I've built over a dozen custom mega's, and watched many others being built alongside in the next slip over that I was not part of. All my builds were aluminum not fiberglass so the process is different.
    Reality is, months go by with very little major visual change, then all of a sudden there will be major changes, then months of sameness again, followed by another flurry. Work is being done, it's just not a visible impact at times. Wiring and plumbing takes time but doesn't show.

Example: One day you have a bare hull sitting on the blocks, within one or two days the yard may drop in the main engines, generators, Hydraulic power pack, A/C skid, tool boxes and workbench. All the major equipment that won't fit thru the doors once built. Another reason, that's a stage payment. Weeks go by with nothing, then all of a sudden the crane comes in and they drop the entire superstructure onto the hull, aka, also another stage payment, on and on, etc etc.
  9. olderboater

Actually it's those times when the work doesn't show that are among the most critical. Two things are happening. Work is taking place and the quality of that work is very important. Also, during this period a lot of future work plans are being finalized.

One thing I would say is to never make a stage payment without you or your representative confirming in person that stage has been completed. The first sign of serious problems can be requesting stage payments prematurely.
  10. BRyachts

BRyachts Member

Those items were some of my primary jobs. I was onboard and inspecting each of my boats each and every day for quality control, future access for repairs etc, and meeting contract specifications, many of which we upgraded during the contract process, but sometimes those upgrades did not properly get passed down to the workforce.

It was also my job to be that representative that insured the proper amount of work was done to qualify for the stage payment, work directly with the owner and insure him that the shipyard had met contract specifications for the stage payments. Photo's and my signature provided if necessary for the owners lender.
  11. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

I will ask for a book of photos of each stage of construction. These yachts are complex critters, more than I thought, and I am accustomed to complex machines.
  12. olderboater

Even on semi-custom, you will be amazed at the number of decisions you have to make.
  13. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Why not share them also with us? :)
  14. BRyachts

BRyachts Member

LOL that's funny!! Asking the shipyard to send you a few glossy photos is like asking the fox to guard the hen house!
    What, you think they're going to send you photos of the piping that doesn't line up, the undersized insulation, the undersized/mismounted pumps, inaccessible air handlers etc etc.
  15. mapism

mapism Senior Member

He didn't say he was going to ask the shipyard, actually.
    That said, if I were the one paying the bills, the only person I would trust to make that photo book is the one I see every morning while shaving myself.
  16. olderboater

You clearly mean your wife who you see walking behind you in the mirror as you shave. lol
  17. olderboater

I think ones methods need to reflect both the buyer and the builder. Mine are not going to be the same as many others. With any contractor, including a boat builder, I want someone on site representing my interests only. However, much of the key work starts before the build does.

You must select a builder compatible with your ways and expectations. We saw a major complaint by the initial purchaser of the Nordhavn 120. Throughout the contract he had sections reading "like Westport" or "comparable to Westport." Many problems with that. This was their first 120. They are not at all like Westport, for better or worse. I expect and require things to be done on schedule and at the cost quoted. I agree to everything up front, don't expect to be making changes all along the way. I have an acquaintance who just took delivery of a new Nordhavn. He loves it and loved the entire process in spite of it running a year late when all was said and done. He liked refining and changing things along the way and while frustrated over the delays, not his first Nordhavn, so no surprise and he loves working with them. He also loves the long commissioning effort after the build itself. I couldn't tolerate all that. I want the boat ordered, delivered 100% as agreed, on the date agreed, turnkey and ready to go. Now as a buyer I'm also not one to get halfway through and decide now I want to rearrange the entire lower deck like some buyers do. I will spec and agree on everything upfront except things like dishes and linens and other furnishings but will specify all those by the dates in the original plans. I've seen buyers still changing the plans throughout the entire process and as a builder would find that intolerable.

Building a boat is a major business transaction and I treat it as I do things in business. Others cast aside good business practices and treat it as a personal adventure. I want it all planned carefully and buttoned up initially.

So, two questions on observing the build. First, how frequently. Second, who? I will say there is no such thing as too frequently and no such thing as too much expertise.

So, our first two builds which were with the same builder. We trusted this builder 99.99999%. They were financially sound and had a record of meeting their commitments. While in the US, they were 3000 miles, a 6.5 hour flight plus a drive so with all said and done a full day away. Boat built to class.

Build 3, also to class but in Italy. We trusted this builder 90%. We set up an Italian corporation so our contracts were all Italy to Italy and enlisted an Italian attorney in the process. We will take delivery in Italy. Definitely not use to working with people like us but amenable to it and curious as to how it would work as we required details up front most didn't.

Builds 1 and 2 we had a local surveyor there regularly, generally weekly. One highly regarded but one who had never done work for the builder. We then had captains who work for us and know us well there every 4 to 6 weeks.

Build 3, we've had a couple of people there throughout the process, having leased a villa in Italy. The plan was to be on site about half the time, but the pandemic has made it more.

Builds 1 and 2 went very well. Interior details such as colors and furnishings were decided primarily through phone, webcam and email however, with us dealing with their design team on those. Wood was selected by us prior to the build starting in their carpentry shop. Most of the equipment is standard. We only had one significant modification from their normal build. We made less frequent trips there. For most people to say they're going to watch their build doesn't mean a lot as we certainly don't have the knowledge or skill to do it at a level we'd want, nor do I want to spend a year doing it.

Build 3, we've had one person there representing us from an engineering side and the other from an aesthetic side. First and primary team were chief engineer and chief stew who are a married couple. Any decisions that needed to be made, they got with us on cam and phone and made sure we made them. The builder has commented on never waiting more than a day for an answer to anything and how that has helped the flow. They realized that while we had more presence than they were use to, it was more to assist them than anything and insure things ran smoothly. Typically they are on site from 1 to 4 hours most days. I don't wish I was there because I don't know what they do. Better people who have previously supervised builds but also know you well to represent you.

Some of the large sales groups offer people to manage your builds. I don't let a broker choose my surveyor and not letting a sales group choose by engineer or captain to manage things.

If I was starting to build my first boat, I'd hire my captain and chief engineer in advance and have them on the job. Our first boat in FL was a production boat, already finished when we bought it but we hired a captain first and he helped us in the purchase. People dismiss thoughts like this because they're costly. Well, if you're spending $25 million on a boat, a $120,000 captain or engineer to make sure it's done to your desires seems like good insurance to me. Less than 0.5%.

Do we do more than necessary? Absolutely. Admittedly. But rather err on that side than the other plus if you have the right people on the job it's a great way to build a relationship with the builder and the factory.

What if I wanted a boat built by someone like Nordhavn or many others similar to them? I'd just have to give the full task to someone working for me and tell them to let me know when it's finished and ready to us and try to not even think about it. I'd have to make it completely someone else's project. I'd have to deal only with them and not with the factory.

I know K1W1 managed major builds. Assume he's playing around in his tinnie now. But he's the type as an owner, I could have trusted to make sure it was all done right and to my needs and desires. I know Captains like Ken Bracewell have been around a lot of builds, done a lot of sea trials for builders, knows boats like Westport inside and out. I know there are other captains on this site who have run many Westports and could help with a build. With other boats, it might be more difficult finding the same familiarity.

Keep in mind, just one person's thoughts and methods and not at all the norm.
    FlyingGolfer, rocdiver and costalive like this.
  18. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

We would want a trusted knowledgeable rep on site, allowing us to visit the project from time to time. Everybody’s thoughts are very helpful. In the case of Westport, could there be the possibility of inadequately installed piping, etc? Or is the standardization good enough to prevent that? Which is mainly why we want a WP, besides the speed.
  19. olderboater

The standardization greatly reduces the odds of something like you mention.
  20. costalive

costalive Member

I second that