Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums

What is a really good ocean weekend cruiser?

Discussion in 'General Sport-Yacht Discussion' started by theyachtman, Sep 24, 2007.

1. theyachtman

theyachtman New Member

Hey Guys

I live in Spain on the Costa Blanca and i am looking for a weekend cruiser. I have 50,000 euros to spend for a boat for the final on the water price. What will be the best bang for the buck boat? please find below some details on the kind of boat i am after.

Looking for brand new only, either Spanish or international builder and obviously for 50,000 euros located in Spain
    any boat between 19 to 31 feet
    water ski/wake board boat
    1 to 2 bedrooms (with bed able to convert into a dining table)
    6ft+ head room
    separate toilet on board
    6+ seater on sun deck
    long range of about 150+ miles
    good fuel consumption
    around 25-30 mph cruise speed
    and 40-45 mph top speed
    built for off shore cruising
    good maneuverability

I live about 63 miles from the island of Ibiza so i would love to make the trip there. i would only make a trip to Ibiza once every few months for a day trip. The rest of the time the boat would be used for some overnight weekend breaks and day boating wake boarding/water skiing i am not looking for wake board towers. I would be traveling up and down the coast line 4 miles close to shore mostly.

I have seen some cruisers by companies like sea ray, rinker boats, chaparral etc but every time i look i end up finding another company with similar prices and end up confusing myself, there are so many companies out there. What would be a good company where i am getting afford ability, luxury, and best bang for the buck?

any help much appreciated

Many thanks

oh and i just visited the South Hampton boat show where i did see some ocean cruisers but when i compare them to the ones i found on the internet you get far better and more affordable ones online which were not at the boat show.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I am just following the prices on boats here in Sweden, but I am afraid you have to pay twice that amount for a new boat with what you describe. Perhaps you can get a new Centre Console, but otherwise I think you should look at boats 3-6 years old to get something near to what you want.
  3. theyachtman

theyachtman New Member

Hello

Many thanks for replying

The boat that i have fallen in love with is the sundancer 240 express cruiser. This boat is built by the American company Sea Ray and it is brand new from the factory at 50,000 euros. Well i am actually doing the currency conversion, it's actually 70,000 US dollars. I have seen both video and written reviews and they say it's an excellent entry level family cruiser for people just getting into cruisers. The review was done using the standard engine you get for that price and i am totally all for the boat. But unfortunately i have found that in Europe through boat brokers it ends up costing 10-15 thousand euros more. I did think about buying direct from the factory and importing it but then once you pay delivery and tax into Europe it will end up costing me about 60,000 euros which would be nearly the same price buying it here.
    I have found a 2005 model with 100 hours on it and a faster engine and a load of extra features being sold for 58,000 dollars the brokers said they would internationally ship it at 2 dollars per mile, but then once i pay tax on it it may end up being better buying it new.

Do you know how much tax i would have to pay on a boat coming from America to Spain, is that 16 or 25 percent?

Any help much appreciated

Many thanks
  4. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Offshore cruising and watersports are conflicting requirements. So any design that tries to do both will have a lot of compromise. Comfortable cruising needs a bigger boat than 25', which will put you into a used boat. While the 24-25' cruisers do sell very well here in the US, their owners are often quick to trade up to bigger cruisers.

The Sea Ray brand is popular, very high profile in the US market. Some of our less expensive brands should not be overlooked. You may be able to save a fair amount with something like Four Winns or Monterey. Or that lower price may allow you to move up to a 26-27' model. Which makes a real difference for cruising.

Neither would I be in a hurry to rule out builders much nearer to you. Such as Astinor, Faeton, Ocqueteau, and Rio. Not nearly so fancy as the Sea Ray. But they look practical to me, and parts would be easier to come by. I don't get to price boats in Spain. Are the prices by the Sea Ray agent in Spain really less than these?

Kelly Cook
  5. theyachtman

theyachtman New Member

Hi Kelly

Many thanks for your reply

I have not been able to find a sea ray dealer in Spain

I have now been looking at the Bayliner 245 sunbridge cruiser and found them selling in the UK for £43,000 i am actually from the UK i just have a holiday home in Spain which is why i am looking for a boat to keep in a port over there. £43,000 is a bit more than my budget, i can't seem to find a dealer of this boat in Spain.

I will look at the list of boat builders you told me, thanks
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

7. theyachtman

theyachtman New Member

Hi guys

I am pretty much sold on buying the Bayliner 245 Cruiser. Does anybody know if this boat can tow water skiiers?

I noticed that there other line of boats have this button on the back of the boat which you push and it pops out so you can tie the water skiing and wake boarding tow cable to. But i see no mention of a tow cap or whatever you call it on the bayliner website for the 245 cruiser. The bayliner website has the 245 cruisers pictures with a wake board tower, i imagine a wake board tower can be used for both wake boarding and water skiing but i would prefer not to spend any extra money on a tower but hoped there was a something on the back of the boat for towing a water skiier. Does any body know of this?

TIA
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Of course it can tow water skiers, if you can. If you don´t like to install a tow cleat, just use a bridle line between the two aft mooring cleats. You can buy this where you buy the towing line and it use to have a small floating device so the line is clear from the prop...