Click for Furuno Click for Comfort Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Abeking

What does deadrise at transom mean

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Tatasboat, Sep 9, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Tatasboat

Tatasboat New Member

Hey everybody,

I've been researching a lot of the details on the boats, and one of the things I have come across is Deadrise at Transom, and I have googled this as well, but it is not really making a lot of sense to me at the moment.

How do I, or should I even be, comparing the Deadrise at Transom for the boats that I am looking at. I am not looking at doing any trans-atlantic, just cruising the great lakes and the Eastern Seaboard.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The amount of V shape in the bottom of a hull is known as deadrise. Technically, deadrise is an angle measured upward from a horizontal plane at keel level.

Read more: Deadrise: Information from Answers.com

Attached Files:

4. Tatasboat

Tatasboat New Member

It sounds like, from the boating article, that Deadrise is rather subjective in terms of how a boat will really perform. And that your sea trial(s) will make the true determination of what you will and won't tolerate on the water...
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hull design has been a balance of compromise near forever. The flatter the hull, faster and cheaper to run but your teeth will fall out. V hulls have more wetted area (friction), weigh more and require more h p to get enough of the hull out of the water to act like a planing hull. Yes, lifting strakes, chines, mod Vs, pads and lots more tricks added help in some areas and take off in others. Healthy teeth love V hulls.

Local use also dictates hull design, shallow, lots of flair, interior volume for da wife & in-law. Fishing inshore, offshore, bad inlets, required range.
    There are hundreds of boat manufacturers out there, hundreds plus of hull designs.
  6. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Also to consider that deep V will roll more both at anchor and cruising.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I've found that deadrise is something a lot of guys like to mention to make it sound like they know about boats (especially salesmen). Same with engine stats. Most learn a few numbers for certain engines and always try to turn the conversation to that engine so they can sound knowledgeable. As mentioned earlier, deadrise is only one number in a formula that helps a boat run a particular way (fast, economical, less roll, etc.) Fortunately we do have some people here who actually understand about how to design a boat or yacht, but for the most part you're right on target. Sea-trial. Put a boat through it's paces and see if it satisfies your needs. Then, when you buy it and talk to you friends, slip into the conversation that it has a 17* deadrise at the transom to impress them with your knowledge.:D

If you ever decide to become a naval architect then learn all the factors that make a boat perform a certain way. (deadrise at the bow in relation to deadrise at the stern, chines, steps, weight distribution, power, propping, and on and on. Till then just enjoy the ride.
  8. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Must have been quite the ride today.

You do seem to smoke, alot.

Remember, this website is, "Talkin' Big Boats that Belch Black Smoke!"

You seem to have it a bit confused.

It's about the boat smoking; not you. :D

P.S.- Loved seeing the YF t-shirt, today.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

This is weird. I hit "quote" where you wrote I forgot to mention steps (which I did "deadrise at the bow in relation to deadrise at the stern, chines, steps, weight distribution, power, propping, and on and on), and I got this (which has to be from the other thread). Carl, someone asleep at the helm??? Which reminds me, I have to go to the T-Shirt thread to make a suggestion.:D
  10. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Not weird; just normal.

I changed the post - deleted the old and made a new post, while you were thinking. :D

Me = Gotcha.

You = ZZZZZZZ (someone asleep at the helm???)
  11. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

When I was growing up, the work boats around the upper bay were referred to as a "Chesapeake Bay Deadrise". I didn't know the real meaning of deadrise and thought a "Deadrise" was a fancy name for a work boat.

If you google Chesapeake Bay Deadrise, you'll see every type of work boat from a Buy Boats to drake tails.