Click for Comfort Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn

What cellular modem?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Danvilletim, Oct 4, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Would love input in cellular modem bought in last year. Did you also get cellular booster or WiFi extender? Any experience in Bahamas?

Anyone got 5g? Trying to figure whether to connect Direct TV. Didn’t use it much in last boat.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I installed a Cradlepoint IBR1150 about 4 years. That model is now discontinued though and I m not sure which model replaced it. Great unit. Double Sim, we’ll build and connect to our main router. I have an ATT sim for the US and a My Island WiFi Sim for the Bahamas, but you can also use BTC prepaid sim

Not cheap, it was around $700 but it works.

we also have Shakespeare booster, and often get signal 15/18NM out.

i gave up on WiFi and WiFi boosters. Not worth it because of the lack of reliable access points.
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Had cellular booster on my sailboat, installed it around 2005 or so.
    It doubled the cell phone range when headed offshore, or coming back, from 8NM miles to 16NM, a $150 system, plus the antenna, $75 or so,
    Had a total of 6 antennas on that boat, looked like a Russian Spy trawler.
    Don’t have any boosters on present boat, retired now, trying to get away from stuff. o_O
  4. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Went SIM modem, plugged into the vessel wifi router, and it bounces through a cell extender on board as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5ASNTE/ref=pe_825000_114212990_TE_n_id

The Netgear modem works well, and it isn't expensive. I installed a Deco hot spot system through the boat to carry a unique wifi network with quality signal throughout the vessel, all tied to the router and ultimately the SIM modem. The entire setup was less than $500, soup to nuts, and works well.

Agreed, my Wave wifi antenna can link to a marina hot spot, but those are usually crap and overwhelmed by the others in the marina. The SIM was the right direction.
  5. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Pepwave is the way to go.
  6. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

I also use a Peplink MAX from Pepwave.
  7. Danvilletim

Just go the peplink from 5gstore.com. Phone service was pretty awesome.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

5gstore is a excellent vendor.

which model did you get ? The BR1 Max has different versions one is supposed to work only on ATT and Vz, the other one all of North America. Wonder if the first one works in the Bahamas
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  9. Danvilletim

I got the at and t and version model which will work 8n Bahamas. 5g wasn’t super high on cellular boosters but they thought an external antenna would get you 90% of the benefit.

This is what they recommended for antenna which gets cell, WiFi, gps, and I guess something else since it’s 4 in 1. Lol

1 x MobileMark White 4-in-1 LTM Thru Roof Antenna (LTM402-WHT) = $256.40

We might get a setup for home as well. With Covid the Wife is working form home and needs internet to Bill. This same setup can be used as an automated fail over for when internet goes out.