Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service

Westport 130 Re-Designed Model

Discussion in 'Westport Yacht' started by hbyachtboy, Jun 24, 2009.

1. hbyachtboy

hbyachtboy New Member

Here is what I believe is the first public photograph of the new Westport 130 series that was previewed on the site earlier. Her name is Miss Michelle. There was a 112 Westport named Miss Michelle and I assume that this is the owner's new boat to replace it.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/82677435@N00/3655993596/
  2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Westport 130' Review

This is superb work!!!! Kudos Carl and everyone else involved in the process. Loved the review and the details are wonderful actually has touches of being a custom boat even though she is a production boat.
  3. hbyachtboy

hbyachtboy New Member

Miss Michelle Review

Great work Carl! Westport appears to have taken a boat that was already great and made it even better. Thanks for the very detailed review
  4. Yacht News

Agreed! Heston, is it me, or have you been scarce around YF recently?;)
  5. hbyachtboy

hbyachtboy New Member

Miss Michelle Review

I've been around just haven't actually signed in for a while. Not sure why
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Thanks guys. A book could be written on the build of these yachts. The details are measured in the 1000's... daily! My tour of Westport's Port Angeles facility, where the 164' is built, gave me a higher level of appreciation for their manufacturing process... and their people. The editorial only touches lightly on a few of the processes involved, but it doesn't capture the commitment of the people that work for Westport. Like I've said before, boats are built from the same materials, but it's the people that make difference.
  7. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

The new Westport 130 (circa 2010)

After reading the excellent review done by Yachtforums and catching a few discussions on in other forums, as well in the periodicals, one question burns in the back of my mind.

Why do away with the 'country kitchen' in the 130? I really like what they did with the new seating / social area up on the bow, but can't for the life of me figure why they'd do away with the country kitchen / seating area in the galley, as well continue with the formal dinning area midships.

Customer feedback? New design philosophy? Different / better use of space?

Outstanding boat in all other respects. Not my personal flair in interior decorating, but the general overview of the boat is worth a serious look for those in the 40m market.
  8. YachtForums

The kitchen is always the gathering place of the party, but on a yacht... the galley is for food prep, right? Nope, I agree with you. I prefer a country kitchen as well. Hey, I don't eat too far from the fridge! I'm sure most would prefer a dinette with a view in the galley too. The W-130's interior is semi-custom in nature and I'm pretty sure Westport can accommodate changes. I've attached a zoom-in on the galley. The GA's reflect a raised countertop/bar along the fore section, where the bar stools can belly up for beverages, but the actual build changed this in favor of an open area with a two-up, island counter. Oh well, everything's a trade off...

Attached Files:

9. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Thanks for moving the thread here Carl- Seems a better place for it in this thread. Didn't see it earlier.

I couldn't agree more. The kitchen in every (or at least every one I've lived in) is the gathering point. Of course we follow very Italian traditions, so it only seems natural for us.

On a boat, of course that would be the same (in my opinion). Everyone wants to be where the food and booze is. In our house and on boats, that's usually the same gathering point, the kitchen. And when Mom's on board cooking, the small alone of her veil will draw a crowd of vegans.

Any mention from Westport on the topic when you were at their facility or in another other conversations in passing with them?
  10. YachtForums

When walking through a new build, you're trying to absorb so much information in such a short period of time. Literally, years of engineering all culminating in one result. It's hard to ask all the right questions! I've got a sea trial at Bahia Mar today at 11:00. If time allows, I'll try to stop by Westport's sales office after for a little more info.

Have a good day all!
  11. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Thanks Carl-
    It would be interesting to get their take on it.
  12. Yacht News

13. Skilly

Skilly New Member

Having worked on 3 130's I can tell you that the dinette in the older style galley was never used by the owners ever. It always ended up being a place for crew to hang between meal courses. The 112's country kitchen is better suited for owners and guests to mingle in. There's alot more room and you can stay out of the chefs area. The 130 galley I feel is better suited for just meal prep. Just my two cents...
  14. Yacht News

The second Westport re-designed 130' is called "Aphrodite". A third hull is out as well but that seemed to have been used as show piece at the FLIBS.
  15. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

We spent some time on the new 130, which I must say is outstanding.
    Per Daryl @ Westport, the 3rd hull is avail. and will be ready for delivery in the Jan / Feb 2010 time frame, and hull 4 is in the mold and will be schedule for delivery in the Aug. / Sept. time frame of 2010.

Why the wide gap from hull 3 to 4? Per Westport, "these guys have busted their humps getting hulls 1, 2 and 3 done, and really need some time off to recharge their batteries" (slight paraphrase of course but you get the idea)

As always, their display area was buzzing with activity through the show.

Spending time on the new 130, had someone not told us what it was, one would have thought they were on a 50 meter boat. The use of space is unreal and surprisingly spacious.
  16. Yacht News

17. jdl1201

jdl1201 New Member

Out of curiosity, because I can't afford it, what would you need to make a year to afford a boat like this? How much would the maintenance/crew/operating cost per year be?
  18. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

There are many lengthy discussions on the topic if you search and read.
    To answer your question at a very *VERY* high level.
    She sells for 18M new.
    You'll spend another 1M per year to own, operate, maintain, and staff her.

Understand however you're asking a very subjective question, thereby getting a very wide open answer.