Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for JetForums

Westport 125 vs. 130

Discussion in 'Westport Yacht' started by olderboater, Aug 10, 2016.

1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Is it new and improved or just another boat in the line? Is it for those wanting to step up from the 112 but found the 130 too much? Guess time will tell what it truly is and how the line evolves. The 125 is a Raised Pilothouse model and the 130 is a Tri-deck.

Meanwhile I thought I'd just point to some of the differences.

Style: The 125 has new styling but not radically different. It does not have the upper deck the 130 has so is much sleeker. It has windows where the 130 has portholes.

Size: I guess it's not hard to figure the 125 is 5' shorter. However, it's the same beam. Both water and air draft are significantly reduced. 5'9" draft vs. 6'6". And air draft with one fewer level than the 130 is 34' vs. 50' 9 1/2". Displacement is down to 390,000 lbs full and 355,000 at half. The 130 displacement is listed at 455,000 full and 395,000 half.

Equipment: The two boats have the same horsepower engines but the 125 is 16V2000's vs. the 130's 12V4000's. The 125 has slightly smaller generators at 80kw vs. 92kw. The big difference is that the 125 comes standard with two Seakeeper Gyros in addition to the Naiads. It's Naiads are smaller. The 130 can be equipped with Seakeeper, but traditionally hasn't been. I think in other areas one can see Westport making some subtle but significant technology moves. Crane and tender are significantly smaller on the 125. Crane is 2500 lbs vs 3500 and tender is 15' vs. 18'. Again, I'm just going with standard numbers. There appears to be some significant upgrades in standard communications and monitoring.

Sleeping Capacity: Both have five staterooms, to sleep 10, although the 125 shows the 5th stateroom typically as an exercise room. Crew accommodations are down significantly on the 125. It has two sets of bunks and it has a captain's cabin with a double berth. So accommodates 5-6. The 130 has the same two sets of bunks and a cabin forward with a double berth. However, it also has an Engineer's stateroom aft of the engine room with a double bed so it sleeps 6-8 crew members.

Layout: The biggest difference is the Pilothouse deck. On the 125, there is a mechanical space behind the Pilothouse. On the 130, there is a lounge and an outdoor sitting area plus the crane and tender storage. The 125' then has an upper flybridge deck with a helm, seating area with tables and the tender and PWC's. The 130' has standard a hot tub (no upper helm although there have been 130's with them in the past), a dining area and lounge.

Fuel/Water: The 125 has tanks for 7065 gallons of diesel and 1000 gallons of water. The 130 has tanks for 9530 gallons of diesel and 1780 gallons of water.

This is obviously just a superficial comparison based on available information.However, the fuel and water may give away the answer. It appears to me that while both are steps up from the 112, they target different owners and users. The 130 seems to aim at the cruiser covering longer distances. The 125 has probably aimed more where most 130's are used with a lot of short and intermediate cruising, needing slightly less crew, needing slightly less fuel, and needing less draft.

Now that the 125 is here, what will they do next? Will the 130 be replaced with a 140 or so, built more on the lines of the 125? What other boats will be restyled or will more be replaced? Might they decide to go bigger than the 164? And will the 112 remain their smallest boat.
  2. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

I like the new 125. I actually just saw a 164 this past weekend but styling wise, it was not my favorite.
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I think you just hit the nail on the head. The cost to build the 125 will be much less than the 130. So this will translate to a more affordable option to move up from 112.
  4. olderboater

It should be competitive in price to boats like Hargrave. If one was planning on a lot of coastal and Caribbean cruising, I think it would be perfect. I would have to see for longer ocean crossings how it compared, but I'd think the 130 would be preferable for them. Now the question is will it cannibalize the sales of either the 112 or the 130 or be incremental sales. I suspect it will be a little of each. There will be those wanting a Westport and choosing the one they feel best fits their needs and on the other hand those looking for a boat that size but not builder specific who will find it the right boat.

While a more affordable move up option, a lot of people have gone from 112's to 130's. The question is how many held off on moving up who now might. Westport has a large number of repeat buyers who move up the line. I expect to fairly regularly see additions or changes to the line now. The last major addition prior to this was the 164 which was definitely needed as they forced those wanting to move up from a 130 or just wanting a bigger boat to go elsewhere. It's also been quite a few years since this version of the 130 replaced the old and the 112 hasn't undergone change.

It's a challenge as many got upset over the new Sunseeker Manhattan 52 styling when it wasn't a huge departure from other Manhattan's. How will the Westport customer react to the 125? We may be one of the oddest customers in that the looks were very secondary in our search. To us, Westport was simply Westport. Not new, not flashy, the profile didn't excite us but we also were quite happy with it. However, exterior appearance is at the top of the list for many.
  5. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

I look forward to seeing it, still not sure what the target audience is, but OB has some good points. I guess a lot of other builders have different models of not so different in length. As to price, I think it is about 4-5 mil. difference that the 40M.
    They are using the same hull mold of the 130, so that has saved them some time and money, and as for engines the new 40M are using the same engines now.
    I was hoping for a completely new 145' model, but it is cheaper and quicker for them to use existing molds and engineering to put out a new model.
    It seems that the Italian builders are constantly putting out new models that vary little in size, so maybe this will help build sales.
    As the only real production Yacht builder left in the US, I hope they do really well with it!!
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Not only that, I see the 125 as a more ideal Bahamas/Carribbean boat for an owner with the reduced draft and enough stops where the reduced fuel isn't an issue. The water tank is a little on the light side, for the amount of guests and crew it sleeps. But could be resolved with 2 large water makers. I don't see why you'd have both Naiads and Seakeepers. Perhaps you can run Seakeepers at anchor and the Naiads are sufficient enough they can handle it underway, especially with the much reduced air draft compared to the 130'.
  7. olderboater

I see the 125 as good Bahamas/Caribbean as well. It has two large water makers standard. I've heard that the idea of both types stabilizers is that much of the time the Naiads will be more than adequate and only use the Seakeepers when conditions warrant it. That could include at anchor or while underway. Trying to take a very well stabilized boat and make it better.

The draft is only 3" more than the 112' and the air draft is the same as the 112'. In some ways the boat has some of the 130 and some of the 112. Hull of 130 and decks and layout much more like the 112, just more.
  8. amgscrap

amgscrap Member

Glad to see Westport is going with a more model outside profile then in the past. Should do well