Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service

Westerbeke 8kw gas: Intermittent starting issue

Discussion in 'Generators' started by Piper, Sep 4, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Piper

Piper New Member

My 1989 Tiara 3600 has a 8kw 4 cylinder Westerbeke gasoline generator. The owners manual is dated 1985, so I'm assuming that's the year of mfg as well. I've owned the boat for 5 years, but that means for us in Ontario, it only sees water from May-October.
    In past summers I have had the occasional "no start" issue where I would crank the gennie but it would not fire. It would usually start after the 3rd or 4th try. I always noticed that the longer the time that the generator sat unused, the more difficult it was to fire. To avoid the problem, I got into the habit of just exercising the generator for 5 or 10 minutes about once every 2 weeks.

This summer however, I was too busy and ended up leaving the exercising for almost 3-4 weeks. Now it refuses to fire after numerous tries!!
    The generator cranks over in it's usual healthy manner , BUT the cylinders refuse to fire.....even after a small spray of "Quick Start"!!
    Note: there has been no other changes or mechanical issues within the engine room, so no chance of someone else touching anything...I'm the only one down there!
    To date:
    1) I've checked the plugs....lightly carboned, but nothing serious....put in new ones anyway.
    2) I've checked the plug wires for spark at each plug......................................................NO spark.
    3) I've checked for spark by grounding the secondary wire from the coil to the block and hitting start button...NO spark.
    4) I've checked the voltage at the + side of the coil with ignition "on" .....read 12.5-13volts.
    5) I've "froged" the coil with a spare new one....same result.....no spark when grounded to the block.

Normally, my next step would be to look into points/condenser issues, but manual says distributor is "solid state"with nothing to adjust!!!??? So does that mean no points...no condenser??

Note: I'm not a mechanic...just a decent screw turner, trying to do things step by step.

Sorry for the diatribe......
    I'm completely stumped and have run out of ideas!!
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Docked on the St Lawrence ......
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Now, I have to type this.
    You are experimenting in the bilges of a gas boat looking for open sparks. I can only hope the blowers are on, all hatches are open and the gen-set is fuel injected.
    And you are not alone.

Also, turn the fuel and water supply off to the gen-set while testing.

After you read that a few times, I would like to offer some support.

3) is incorrect.
    It is the negative side of the coil that builds and collapses the coil charge from the solid state points opening and closing, to ground.
    With a capacitor or condenser, a rapid tapping of the ground wire may make a spark.

Check 4)
    Is that B+ on the coil when your starting the engine?
    Often when starting a gas engine B+ is provided by one signal, running B+ is provided by a different signal.

Also, while turning the engine over (as starting), Confirming B+ on the coil, do you see voltage dancing around on the negative side of the coil?
    On a DVM this would be a lot of noise, maybe get a smoother reading switching the DVM to ACv.
    This would be the signal from the solid state point set to the coil for it to charge and collapse.

I am assuming your distributor set up like on an old car.
    The solid state point set usually works with a mag sensor that detects a metal flag passing by and flashes the coil.
    37 or 5+ years old, Solid State junk can fail any time.

If you survive this, keep us up on what you find.
  3. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Doesn’t the sensors interrupt spark on these gas gens when active? Have you checked the high temp and low oil pressure sensors to make sure they are not the issue?
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It would at least fire up while the start switch is pressed.