Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Furuno

Westerbeke 8BTD generator repair?

Discussion in 'Generators' started by MeLikeCookies, Jul 8, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MeLikeCookies

MeLikeCookies New Member

I bought a Hatteras 48' LRC down in Panama and the Westerbeke 8BTD generator runs but no electric production. We pulled the winding side in hopes of sending to Electric Motor shop in David, Panama for repair but mechanic tested and this is what mechanic found I have found the main rotor and Exciter rotor to be shorted and corrosion damage
    The mechanic did not feel Motor shop could repair so I am looking for a used or rebuilt electrical portion or windings side of another rebuilt or used Westerbeke 8BTD generator
    Any ideas where to acquire such an animal or any other suggestions? Does anyone feel the 8BTD is salvagable.
    I would just buy an entire new one but remote location of boat and financial restraints I need to get this one running.
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

How did you get on with your Engine rebuilds for that boat down there?
  4. MeLikeCookies

MeLikeCookies New Member

thanks I shot an email off to Glen of Broward Armature.
  5. MeLikeCookies

MeLikeCookies New Member

48' Hatteras LRC

Oh Sorry for not updating the group. Everyone was a huge help and I went down with many options that is for sure.
    I ended up hiring a Detroit Mechanic out of Guatemala that has been working on Detroits for almost 40 years. He brought his 25 year old Protege down to do the wrench turning but between the two of them and a Valve Job on both motors they both Fired up right up and ran GREAT!!! bottom line the local mechanic just didn't know and assumed the rings were stuck but the detroit mechanic from Guatemala told me up front their is no way the rings are all stuck and that it was more than likely just valves being stuck open from sitting so long and not being used. Also fuel was bad and that didn't help but with fresh fuel and new valve job they both ran up to 3000 rpms at the dock and eventually cleared out most of the smoke.
    He told me these motors would probably outlast me and him (he is 72) but since I will have the boat for 5-10 years before moving up I am going to bring boat down to Rio Dulce, Guatemala for a complete rebuild of motors & gears and the entire engine room repained and sprucing up. Rick Vera was quite amazing and he told me he could get the 15kw Onan running as well if I can get boat to him (4 1/2 day run up the coast).
    half the things that they thought were not working were actually working and boat was in great shape-
    I took 300 pictures of everything but I would like to post a picture, just not sure how.