Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross

Westerbeke 55KW Genset Help Needed

Discussion in 'Generators' started by gdmiller5, Mar 30, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. gdmiller5

gdmiller5 Guest

Need help in finding parts for a older Westerbeke 55KW gennie that I am looking to get installed on my 60ft. Hatteras. Great deal on genset, but needs a little work and parts are scarce. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
  2. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

That's a 5 point 5, right?
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

(Unless he's got 10 strapped together:rolleyes: ) I see you're up in Ct. Check with Essex Boat Works. They can probable send you in the right direction.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Why would you install what sounds like an obsolete genset?

The price might be cheap now but what's it worth if it claps out when you and your family want to use it and you have to scour junkers for parts to patch it up again.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree with this totally. Also, if it's a 55kw, it is WAY too big for that size vessel and will never run anywhere near full load and live a very short life.

If it's a 5.5kw it's way too small to do much of anything with on that size vessel. I doubt you could even run any of the A/C's. Only the ships basic systems, and I mean basic......

A proper size for a 60' Hatteras should be around 20kw. You're going to save yourself a lot of time, aggrivation, and money by putting a new one in that's the proper size.

If you go with an obsolete unit, it will always end up failing you in the worst situation. The parts cost a fortune and you'll spend a ton of time looking for them....... and it will do nothing for the vessel's resale value.......
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i can't imagine anyone putting a 55KW on a 60 footer... makes no sense. I have an 18KW on my 53 Hatt and that's already a little too big.

now many of these boats came with two gennies, a larger one and a smaller one. 5.5 woudl be ok to keep the fridge/freezer running at night, ice maker, some lights and some TVs when Air is not needed. Not a bad idea instead of running the larger genny. I guess he missed the .

Westerbeke has a very good part ad service network, how old is the genny? tried calling WTBK for advice?