Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

Water tank plumbing

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Greg Page, Mar 18, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

The twin fresh water tanks on our 43 Post have what I think is an unusual plumbing. As seen in the photo, the feed line comes from the bottom of each tank (not visible) and runs along at the height of the tank outlets until they get behind the centerline fuel tank. Then the lines rise up to about 1/2 of the water tank depth and connect to a 'T'. Below the 'T' is a check valve, then drops into the line to the water pump (located at the front of the engine room, about 15-18 feet away). That line runs at basically the level of the bottom of the water tanks.

With this setup the tanks gravity feed to the pump if they are over 1/2 full. Below about 1/2 full they become a suction feed, dependent on the check valve to hold suction/siphon until the tanks get to about empty. Once the water level drops below the top of the tank outlet fitting it will vent, drop the siphon, and you have to fill the tanks back up to over 1/2 tank to re-establish feed to the water pump.

Does anyone else have a setup like this? I can't think of a logical reason for plumbing this way, am I missing something? I am thinking to re-plumb so that the lines run at the level of the bottom of the tanks into a 'T', then directly to the water pump feed line. That should be a gravity feed to the pump anytime there is water in the tanks. Comments?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2023
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Odd set up which looks homemade…

What kind of water pump do you have? Most marine pumps do not require additional check valves.

an easy fix would be to move the Tee to be at the level of bottom of the tanks. If you really need a check valve install it right after the Tee on the line going to the pump
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Check valve may be needed for when a strainer or filter is serviced as configured now and <1/2 tank water.
    I do agree, level everything low. Maybe on/off valves to isolate, balance and turn off water feed from the tanks.

Now, If that rise in the feed line is needed because of stringers or real obstructions before the T, good multi stage pump should clear any air and re-start the siphon. Check valve should not be required.
  4. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Pump is a Jabsco Par-Max HD diaphram pump. The rest of the line going to the pump is flat. There is a check valve after the pump to prevent back-filling the tanks when on shore water supply. If I re-plumb it I do plan to add a dump valve to drain both tanks for winter or flushing easier.
  5. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

My '87 43 and my buddy's 89' 43 is set up the same way...
  6. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Thanks. I thought it was original, but I don't understand why it was done that way. It works ok (until the check valve wears out which I had to replace) other than de-winterizing you have to fill the tanks to above half before can start to pump out any antifreeze.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I don't understand why the pump does not over come the lift in the hose and pick back up.
    Maybe another selection to a self priming pump could be an easier fix?

Interesting thought; the Raritan air compressor for the Purisan MSD is a 4 chamber water pump. Pumps lots of air fine for 8 seconds. Programmable for 30 seconds.
    The same pump they use for raw water head use.
  8. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

It might if let run (dry) a long time but the lines are 1-1/4" pipe going back to the 'T' and 1-1/2' hose to the tanks so it is a lot of air volume to draw a vacuum on.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Uh? Didn't realize 1-1/2" hose. What the heck is that for?
    Just thought it was a close, close-up picture.
    You could use PVC well point check valve then.
  10. Stainless45

Stainless45 Active Member

Mine is set up the same, it's original. Someone added a bleeder above the check valve for winterizing, and I added a low point drain to the line after they merge for the same. I also put in 3-way valves at the suction of each tank to be able to drain them into the bilge. I'll try to find a picture

Edit- I don't know why, as you said, they merge so high- half the tank height. Maybe to prevent gravitation
  11. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Thanks. Would like to see your changes. Possibly one of the great Post mysteries, along with why they wired the 12 VDC system black+/white- like the AC system. Sure can confuse a mechanic unless they are told that is how it is done (and be somewhat dangerous).
  12. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Looks like you have the room to relocate the Par water pump back with the tanks mount the pump by the tank and then run the pressure side forward to your connection for the showers and faucets etc where the pump used to be Using 1/2” water hose , like the 1.5” stuff you’ve got now.

Get rid of the Home Depot check valve , which needs to be mounted horizontal in order to work that’s why you have that monstrosity there by the time everything’s tied in .
    Run the lines flat/ low. install in-line plastic shut off valves off each tank . Reuse the tee that’s there reduce the line to fit your pump, 1/2” ? , and then put a T right before the pump , in line, with a service plug on the top so you can Temporary connect a short piece of hose into a bucket of antifreeze and suck it through the pump in the winter time and use the water pump to pump the antifreeze through everything. No need to waste all that antifreeze , just pump them dry next time you winterize and run the antifreeze thru the tee with the plug into the pump to winterize everything.
    There is no need for a check valve.

Anyway that’s what I would do put the pump back by the tanks.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  13. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I prefer to leave the pump and accumulator in the engine room as they are better protected from water there than under the cockpit floor, it always gets some water around the hatch drain channels that makes it into there.

The check valve is made to be horizontal or vertical (I also have one in my basement utility sink which has it's own pump to get up to the main drain lines). What surprises me is it works upside down, which is how it gets installed on the boat. Going to look in more detail at re-running the lines after the boat comes home from it's winter storage.

It is possible the large lines running forward to the pump are to keep enough water volume to feed the pump as it cycles. I've not calculated the difference in flow resistance for the long run at smaller diameter.
  14. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

All good points . I understand.
    I have the same pump which is mounted right next to my tank in the bilge but it’s nice and dry where it’s at.
    My accumulator tank I threw out years ago you don’t need one with one of those pumps especially if you have a variable speed pump.

accumulator tank was for the OEM water pump, probably had the old Par Jabsco belt driven diaphragm pump. that kind you needed the accumulator tank to cut down on the pulse at the faucet.
    I have two heads , two showers and, four sinks . No problem with water pressure or delivery. Water flow is nice and smooth at all points again with no accumulator tank.

And all my water lines are 1/2” or so.
    I don’t have any of that large pipe work that you have seems like overkill to me.

but if it ain’t broke don’t fix it just improve on it as you mentioned.
  15. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

My Viking had the belt driven pump with accumlator. I never considered the need for the accumulator since it was already there. It does allow the pump to cycle rather than run continuously at lower flows.

Thanks
  16. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

I changed the tank plumbing. Here is the simplified version.

View attachment 100204

I 'think', based on a copy of a 43 Post manual water system illustration, the original arrangement used the backflow valve to keep shore water from filling the tanks as it did not show a check valve at the water pump. Our boat has been fitted with a bronze check valve just after the water pump and accumulator which keeps shore water from flowing back into the water tanks.

So far everything is up and running as desired.

Attached Files:

17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That looks simple and clean.
    Most water pumps have their own internal valves. Your bronze valve may just be extra weight.

However, Bronze or Brass?
    Bronze contains metals known to make sea monsters sick if you live on the left coast..:rolleyes:
    Not good for potable water.
  18. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Main body looks more bronze, machined surfaces on end fitting more brass. It was already installed and never questioned it. Does say it is lead free when looked it up.

Thanks for mentioning so I could check.

Attached Files:

19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I enjoy your company and don't want any sick sea monsters either.
    Always good for us to check on our brothers.
    dancinggator.gif