Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Comfort Click for Walker Click for JetForums Click for Abeking

Water Heaters

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by NorCalBoater, May 9, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NorCalBoater

NorCalBoater New Member

Here is kind of a weird one. The Kha Shing we just bought (1984) has 2 12 gallon Raritan water heaters with exchangers. Both just quit working. Neither leaks and it appears that both need elements.

Raritan still makes parts so replacing the elements is under $100.

My questions follow:

I'm considering replacement. Do I need 2 heaters? Would I be better off with one new 20 gallon for less maintanence and bother?

The round Raritans heaters list for about 30-40% more that the square aluminum heaters like the Attwoods of a similar size. Are they that much better?

Thanks,
    Shawn
  2. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

The Raritan stainless vessels are usually quite robust and will last a long time. Having two will allow you to reduce electrical load in periods of low demand by running only one element. One thing you absolutley must do is also replace and monitor the galvanic zinc element that threads into the top port. Many people overlook this critical item and it can cause premature element failure and other corrosion issues. Also make sure the container is properly connected with the boats bonding system, this is also often overlooked but essential for long life.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

On the Kha Shing, you could also put a regular household water heater if you have the room for it.

2 Water heaters are good, because you could leave one of them on in times of low usage, obviously the last water heater. 2 of them will give much faster recovery, because even if you're using a lot of hot water, the first one will pre-heat it somewhat, and then the second water heater won't have to heat it that much more to get to the set temp. Hotels and such usually put several in series like that.