Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander

Water getting into inflated dinghy tube

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Pascal, Jan 24, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Sounds crazy... right?

Walker Bay generation 450, 3 years old

During this past trip to the Exumas I noticed it has developed a fairly pronounced list. Pronouced enough that it took about 250lbs on the other side to level the boat and getting on plane solo was hard with the bow sky high...

Turned out the aft stbd tube had water in it... I removed the valves this morning and shop vac’d 38 gallons of water. At the end i heard a sucking sound from the back of the tube where a seam has come unglued. At speed water appear to get scooped into the tube somehow replacing air...

Learn something everyday. If someone had told me water could get in an inflated tube... I would have said no way!
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

We had a customer with a larger Brig RIB. The same thing was happening to his and sunk his Suzuki 100.

Funky new RIB designs are not as robust as the old tube fitment systems were the tubes are sealed in chambers.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

In our case there is triangular patch, like a reinforcement on the bottom of the tube at the end. The leading edge of that patch has come unglued and I guess that s how water gets forced in. I just don’t understand how air isn’t escaping, or the water for that matter once the dinghy is out of the water...
  4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Heck mate, got one one these for sale and one side goes a bit soft.
    Skellig4.jpg
  5. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I thought they made a pill for that until I saw the picture
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

You have no idea how much that costs to fix until you get to my age.
  7. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Somehow a flap of the material is acting as a check valve. When you're moving the water pressure per square inch is bigger than the air pressure and the water scoops in. Slow down, water pressure reduces and air pressure closes the check valve.

Hey, sounds plausible no?
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm a little concerned that mold will start growing in the tube. This could come back and be an issue soon.

That water has been getting pushed in there for a while, maybe the whole 3 years.

I'd contact the mfg. Raise an engineering / quality of design / quality of assembly and anything else you can think of. Back it up with a nice letter.
    Who knows, something may stick and the mfg helps out some,, or more.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I m pretty sure is a pretty recent judging by the list and weight distribution change. It came up pretty suddenly so I don’t think it s been an ongoing issue. Dealer is picking it up on Tuesday.
  10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Pascal, Walker Bay are pretty darned good with their customers.
    Never heard a bad report of them, and I do this crap for a living.