Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Mulder

Water filters and Softeners

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by John B, Apr 9, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. John B

John B Senior Member

I bought a combo water softener and filter - have yet to use the softener part.

I have a similar cartridge filter in my home, but it seems to last much longer than on the boat. For the boat I have been using activated carbon type filters and last summer went through two of them - seemed pretty quick that th eflow slowed down. I use it any time I am refilling my freshwater holding tank which holds 300 gallons.

I am curious ifanyone has any input whether the carbon filters don't last as long or if they are noth even worth using, compared to filters without carbon.

I'm assuming that since the filter gets clogged up it is capturing 'something' in the water.

What do you do and what's your experience with these?
  2. fwebster

fwebster New Member

I suspect you are trapping algae in the carbon filter which blocks it quickly.

We use a permanently mounted filteration system on our slip in NW Fla. We selected a 2 stage design where the first stage is just a particulate filter that traps algae before it gets to the carbon block filter. I also mounted the filter canisters upside down so that they drain themselves dry when the water is shut off which keeps algae from growing in the canisters.

Hope this helps

Frank W.
  3. John B

John B Senior Member

Frank,

Thanks for the reply. A pre-filter may be a real good idea to try.

I'm curious, you are talking about algae clogging the filter, I am taking water on from municipal sources, is that possible?
  4. fwebster

fwebster New Member

Yes, but it not coming from where you think.

We discovered, when we first put the filter on the supply line to our slip, that when the weather is warm algae forms in the filter canister when the water isn't used for several days. My first attempt was with the filters right side up but is seemed like every time we went to the boat the carbon block filter was clogged. I tore one apart and found a lot of algae. Then we re-plumbed the filters and mounted them upside down so that I could turn the filter valve off and gravity drain the canisters every time we leave the boat. Now, I put in a fresh filter in the spring and it lasts all season.

Hope this helps.

Frank W.
  5. JHA

JHA Senior Member

I would recommend a 5mic sediment filter installed upstream from your carbon filter. The carbon filter will remove chlorine and other chemicals added by the city. Also the algae forms because of sunlight - I imagine you probably have clear plastic bowls. Try covering them. You can buy cheapo canvas goodie bags that typically work pretty well as covers.