Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

Want owner feedback on Nordhavn 47'

Discussion in 'Nordhavn Yacht' started by medic, Jul 9, 2009.

1. medic

medic New Member

I am giving consideration to ordering a Nordhavn 47' and would like feedback from as many 47' owners as possible. I am especially interested in the 3 cabin model, and for the 3 cabin model owners, I would ask how guests found the accommodations. OK, too cramped, not enough storage, adequate storage, bunks too short, claustrophobic, wonderful - whatever.

Perhaps it's only because I've been paying closer attention to the 47's, but it seems to me that a DISPROPORTIONATE number have come up for resale. Maybe I'm wrong, but if there is some truth to the idea, I would like to know why. Moving up to a bigger Nordhavn because the 47' did not live up to expectations? Found it to feel smaller than it originally looked, especially on trips longer than a few days? Other problems? Or, I'm just wrong and there are not a disproportionate number for resale and 47 owners are a happy group.

Any particular problems that have seemed to plague the 47'? Any particular options that, looking back, you would have REALLY wished you had gotten?

Anything you have to share would be very much appreciated.
  2. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

Thoughts about N47

I have no personal experience with the ride of any of these vessels; however, I am a fan of Nordhavn’s ever expanding fleet. It is interesting to note that Nordhavn has recently released additional models based on hull extensions to both the N47 and N55 models. They are known as the N52 and N60. The extension adds waterline length and a longer boat deck but does not add to the deckhouse nor do they appear to lengthen the keel or position the prop(s) further aft (The N55 and N60 may be ordered as a single or twin engine boat).

According to Nordhavn’s specs…
    The N47 has a LOA of 47 ft. 8 in. and LWL of 43 ft. 4 in.
    The N52 has a LOA of 54 ft. 4-1/2 in. and LWL of 48 ft. 3 in.

The N55 has a LOA of 59 ft. 0 in. and LWL of 50 ft. 1 in.
    The N60 has a LOA of 65 ft. 3 in. and LWL of 57 ft. 3 in.

Despite reassurances from Nordhavn that the N55 has a reasonable A/B ratio, it still looks like a very top heavy design. I wonder if the added length for each of these adds more than a roomier cockpit and tender storage. Perhaps the hull extension makes for a much better ride and overall stability in comparison to the original designs.