Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Furuno

Wannabee Cptn

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by AnotherDeckie, Mar 23, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. AnotherDeckie

AnotherDeckie New Member

Hi,

I have grown up racing sailing boats, modest and high profile, to a high level, both offshore and inshore in the UK/US scenes.

I have worked on inland ferries for 7 years, including 2 years as master of a 90ft luxury passenger ferry built in 1892, carrying up to 150 pax.

In addition i spent 7 months full time on a 106' superyacht as deckie. We did a lot of miles, constantly on the move with a great itinerary.

I left the yacht last year to join the Royal Navy as a Warfare Officer. The RN screwed me around hugely - first turning me down, then ringing me to offer me a place explaining that they had 'reassessed' my application. Essentially marked it wrong. Long story, but I have decided to forgo that option.

I am currently half way thru completing an MSc in Shipping and Commercial Law in the UK.

Once this is done, as a dual UK/US citizen I am intending on taking the IYT MOY 200T and the conversion course to also attain USCG 200T (i have the sea time). I would add these tickets and my experience, including my MCA limited operations 250pax commercial ticket

At 23 I am keen to make a career out of yachts, having discounted the merch and the military. My boathandling and 'sense of the sea' is very good, with years of running ferries with multiple stops, and years in small boats but my engineering and vessel management knowledge isn't great. In addition the yacht i was on was very laid back, so I didn't get a real sense for the real 'hardcore' top level service prelevant in much of the industry.

Anyway - advice from you experienced guys would be appreciated RE

a) going for another smaller yacht job as a mate (more responsibility, learn engineering which i am weak at, better chance to use my experience and tickets, downside may not learn and experience top level formal service/maintenance). Possible S/Y.

b) going for a deckie position on a megayacht (get into the BIG side; i do harbour an ambition to capt. something in the 100m range at some point a long way away, learn a lot about maintenance. Better pay, entrance into mega side sooner, but may be frustrated for a while as a chammy tech)

just some general ideas of the direction you guys would aim for would be great. I am sure i will end up taking the first job that comes along in Ft Laud that feels right but worth having something 'ideal' to aim for.....
  2. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Well, it sounds like you have a workable plan and a background that supports it. It's always good for deck officers to know engineering, but with larger vessels that carry proper engineers, it's not all that necessary (though helpful when you need to describe an issue to the engineer). I have often said, "Engineers/ Mechanics are born, not made". There seems to be a gene for it and typically it develops between ages 6 and 8 and becomes apparent with a spanking for disassembling the wash machine or some other household appliance. The genes potential dominance makes itself known about age 12 when same said parent is now calling you over to repair said appliances. That is when you know you are doomed to a life of working with and on machines. If this isn't part of ones history, I typically don't encourage them to go too deeply into the engineering end of things, more of learn the early symptoms of when things aren't right so you know to guard that against greater potential mishap. So before you beat yourself up about your engineering knowledge too much, see how the above evaluation rules apply to you. It's good that you seek greater engineering knowledge, but just keep in mind that the majority of captains in the industry only have rudimentary engineering knowledge and ability.

It's good that you have boat handling covered, because as master, you shouldn't be thinking about that anymore. It should be all direct hand-eye, your eye sees what's happening and your hands correct it without having any conscious interceding thought.

Service isn't really your direct responsibility, that falls under the pervue of the chief stew, although, there may come occasion you have to assist, especially to cover for injury or illness, so taking a Silver Service course is not altogether a bad idea.

What you will find consumes most of your time is crew management, and to that my key piece of advice is "Learn to hire well." The crew you hire (or inherit) will make or break your quality of life. Nobody is perfect, so you have to find people who have aptitude and can provide you what you need and can get along and communicate with the other people you are hiring into the crew. Beware of language barriers, they can cause safety issues. I'm not saying be a Xenophobe, but be sure the person you are hiring can clearly understand your orders. Interestingly, this becomes less of an issue with more experienced crew because they can see the bind you're in and already know where they need to be and what needs to be done. I had a Japanese crew on an old schooner many years ago that came to us with almost no English skills. We had conversations across the salon table using a phrase book, but on the deck it was a non issue, because I never had to tell him a thing. If there was something I needed that he wasn't already on, it was "Hiro!" and point at the issue and he would instantly recognize it. In near 23 years since then, I've never had another hand of his caliber, so enjoy them when you get them, but never expect it. Always make sure you can communicate clearly and concisely with your crew, the safety of your vessels and those onboard depends on it.

The most critical hire you will make though is your chief stew, a good hire there will relieve you of 60% of the hassles of running a yacht.

Good luck.
  3. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Save your money. Systematic Savings Spells Success.