Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Perko

Volvo TAMD74EDC

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Living Water, Oct 21, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Living Water

Living Water Guest

I am considering a new used boat that has Volvo TAMD 74EDC diesels in it. I have heard mixed opinions about these engines. They are in a 1998 Navigator with 1800 hours. What are my concerns?
  2. Prospective

Prospective Senior Member

I have them in a 2000 43' Ocean. I like them and have had zero problems with them in two seasons (knock on wood) and mine have 2700hrs. I have found the two wraps on them tend to be failures of the electronic controls leading to boat being stuck in or out of gear. That obviously could get a little scarey. People also complain about high vovlo parts prices. I have not had to do a major repair but I've done a full filter service myself twice and don't find that those items were appreciably more expensive than the CAT stuff I bought with my last boat. In my research I didn't find much in the way of complaints or recurrent problems with these motors. I think the key would be a good survey (I had a full day with a certified volvo tech that included bore scoping the cylinders). I would also want easy access to certified volvo techs near by.