Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

Volvo Penta IPS Azimut 43s. 2005

Discussion in 'Azimut Yacht' started by Eric Kee, Aug 29, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Eric Kee

Eric Kee New Member

This IPS has given me trouble after trouble can anyone confirm with me that this is a bad piece of mechanical design.
    About 9 months ago, a new IPS was installed whole, the port side, expensive but this was subsidized by the insurance as they confirmed a latently defective part was the cause of trouble in the first instance. That took nearly 12 months from claim to installing the new drive. On our 4th outing, after 8 hours or so, the engine overheated at over 2800 rpm. We cleaned out the cooling system then ok.
    5 months later, we book her in for service and anti fouling, relaunched 14 days later. After on the third outing, starboard IPS shows sea water enters the drive. Mechanic says take her out and see if more water comes in. If yes that need to order and change all seals. Yes, out of action again for 1 month awaiting parts from the useless dealer in HK since they never stock parts. Relaunched, everything ok. After 7 hours, that was 2 days ago, suddenly the alarm warning comes on just as we are pulling out and the panel reads steering limited and rpm.
    Yesterday mechanic that replaced seals on this starboard drive tells us the starboard steering sensor controls on the ips are defective or something like that.
    Can someone shed light on this matter and if there is a proper way to test by elimination. These guys keep killing us every time they service the boat.
    We bought her second hand with only 200 hours on the engine 18 months ago and we did not get to use her last summer and it's really pathetic.
    Thanks waiting for your kind thoughts, eric
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I guess you must have very early IPS drives and after 200+ hours and six years, the maintenance history is important. There has been some reports here on YF:s about leaking seals, but I have not heard what is the cause.

We have delivered three boats with triple IPS this summer and so far so good, one has made 120 hours in just over a month.

So I think they are not a bad design, but as with all new products, there will be some weak points appearing that needs attention from the service people...
  3. Eric Kee

Eric Kee New Member

IPS defect

Thanks for reply.
    Mecahnic have told us it's the angle sensor that's defective now and the boat has to be lifted out for recalibration. Eric
  4. Eric Kee

Eric Kee New Member

IPS 2005 Azimut 43S

After replacing the various sensors on the starboard IPS in relation to the steering rudder defect mentioned earlier, the alarm still came on indicating steering rudder defect limited rpm.
    The mechanic was flustered, so wrong diagnosis and then he says it is the servo motor and the software and cost is $HK60,000.00
    Can anyone shed some light on this..:confused: Thanks eric
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would get in touch with Volvo directly and see if you can fly someone in directly that might be able to get a handle on what's really broken or going on.
  6. Eric Kee

Eric Kee New Member

Thanks Captain J for your reply.
    We are using the Volvo dealer in HK and it is their mechanics that I suspect have made things worse.
    This defect of the steering sensor and rudder defects occurred only after the seals on the IPS were replaced.
    Can we complain to Volvo Penta in Sweden directly?
    Thanks eric
  7. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

ips

Hi Eric,

I saw your post and contacted my guy out in Japan and he just replied that he knows of a good guy in Kaohsuing and will send his details when he gets back to his office tomorrow.

An Azimut 2005 can not have IPS's that are that old so I would suspect that your mechanic did something when replacing the seals.

You can complain to VP in Sweden but do not hold your breath for an answer but it might make you feel better to fire off a letter to them.

Personally I have had numerous issues with the drives and engines connected to them so I would advise getting yours fixed and selling the POS, IMO.

I will forward the info tomorrow if I receive it.
  8. Eric Kee

Eric Kee New Member

Thanks for the quick response yachtjocky.
    I believe that when replacing the seals, the mechanic did or did not do something that resulted in overheating of the servo motor as he says he has identified as the main problem.
    After I posted the thread, I received a quotation for replacement of servo motor and software kit for an almighty total of $59000. Additional $1600 for courier.
    How does overheating happen just like that when it was ok before seal replacement. By the way they have not asked us to pay for replacing sensors which I believe were never defective anyways.
  9. madkaw

madkaw New Member

I know Volvo had some problems with the seals between the IPS and the sea water. There are two seals, one holds the oil in the drive and the other holds the sea water out. Both are lip type seals with springs to hold the lips against the sealing surface, just like a wheel bearing seal. The springs were failing allowing the rubber lip to relax and sea water enter the drive.

The IPS is a sealed unit. This is to prevent water from entering the boat in the event a drive is sheared off the boat from a underwater strike. The oil fill cap, dip stick and any senders on the drive are water tight.
    A unit should have a positive pressure when the dip stick is removed to check fluid level. This positive pressure also helps to hold the oil seal tight against the sealing suface.

Now once the seals have failed sea water can enter the drive, transmission and the steering gear for that drive. The unit will need to be dropped from the boat and gone through top to bottom. If the vessel sees little use and the sea water is left in the unit unchecked more damage is possible.

Listen for the air excaping from the drive whenever you check the drive oil levels and look for that milky residue on the top of the dip stick or underside of oil fill.

Hope this helps
  10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Your VP dealer should be able to do an ARGOS online case direct to Sweden. This is a big deal to the Tech team and you may get some parts for free.
  11. Eric Kee

Eric Kee New Member

Thanks fish let me ask, but the Hong Kong VP agent is very bad and that's why we don't have much support other than asking for money.
  12. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

Ips

Hi Eric, I asked a mechanic from the Volvo dealer over here and he told me that there is one gear that (his words) hasa horse shoe on one side that has to be aligned when putting the drives back in place.

Fauilure to do that and you get alarms for steering alignment and RPM limited which I believe you have.

If Volvo will reply to you you could maybe ask them about that and get the dealer to correct at no cost to you, hopefully

I have not heard back from my guy for the Kaohsuing technician info but will forward as soon as I do
  13. Eric Kee

Eric Kee New Member

Hi everyone, I just got back from a week vacation in Phuket Thailand and my Azimut is now fixed and running like she should.

The mechanics replaced the black color servo motor and software link cable for a whopping HK$59000.

They did not insist I pay the previous bills which they claimed the sensors were defective on the starboard IPS drive.

In any case they did not confirm which part was defective they recommended that both items be replaced. Thanks again for your help guys, eric
  14. Az43

Az43 New Member

Hi Guys,

It seems like i have the same issue with my Azimut 43s its on limp mode and stuck at 1500 rpm and we see water in the IPS units (both). can you recommend a mechanic in asia prefferably in HK or singapore. We already replaced 1 defective servo unit and still
    the boat is not reving up to speed. what would you think is the cause? steering alignment? programming? or sensors? there are no more faults when we diagnose the engine. Hope anyone can help me out. Thanks
  15. Az43

Az43 New Member

And with the IPS drives do we replace all seals ? which ones and service both IPS ? Thanks
  16. Alpina

Alpina New Member