Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for Abeking

volvo penta d6 with ips500

Discussion in 'Engines' started by TincanSailor, Aug 30, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. TincanSailor

TincanSailor New Member

Any thoughts? Thanks.
  2. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Pros and cons, mentioned here and in several other fora on the 'net. Your search tool should find much of that.

One that I was made aware of while shopping is that the various IPS "generations" can make a difference too... as for example being able to change gear oil when in the water (later versions) versus having to haul to do that (earlier versions). Don't know if that applies to the IPS500 units or not...

-Chris
  3. TincanSailor

TincanSailor New Member

Good info. Thanks.
  4. Liam

Liam Senior Member

You could always change oil in the sea, for any Volvo IPS pod drive since it was released.
    They always had the transmission in the engine room, and you could check and change the oil anytime you want.
  5. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Not according to one of our local Volvo dealers. I'd been speaking to them about the D6 with IPS600 pods, and asked about in-water gear oil changes:

"No you can not change oil in IPS a-f IPS2 and 3 yes."

-Chris
  6. TincanSailor

TincanSailor New Member

Ok, so I have to haul out for oil change to IPS500 pod drives. Here in Charleston at my slip, our HOA requires vacating during named storms directed here. An opportunity to have service done. Thanks y'all for the input.