Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn

Volvo Penta D4 series Engine Fault Codes

Discussion in 'Engines' started by T.K., Nov 25, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

We have a boat fitted with Volvo Penta D4-260HP EVC diesel engines.
    Today the boat was low on fuel and gave a low fuel alarm on the port engine. Shortly afterwards the engine started hunting and it was derated by the ECU by lowering the rpm and a second alarm appeared warning against low coolant.
    We had the boat fueled, but the alarms continued and we are not able to rev. the port engine above 1600 rpm once the port engine temperature reaches 85 degc.
    We read the fault codes on the engine and had the following two fault codes:
    1) MID 128, PSID 50, FMI 0
    2) MID 128, PSID 50, FMI 5
    The serial number for the engine is D4 260A-D 40869052, 2004030984

Can anyone help and let me know what these fault codes mean and how to correct the problem.

Thanks............Tarek
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I don't want to sound like the prophet of doom but the Volvo EVC has a shocking reputation on the D3 with the only course of help being the dealers who often have to resort to Volvo themselves to get a work around.
  3. Yacht Davits

Yacht Davits Guest

We had a new type of D6 failure last week, a brand new Windy Khamsin was on its delivery trip from Arendal to Stavanger when one motor died without warning.The EVC system told us it had experienced a loss of pressure in the fuel rail.
    We pulled the motor and found that the nut holding the drive gear to the shaft of the injection pump had come loose and worked its way along the shaft until it reached the back of the motor block (these pumps are on the rear driven by a gear train at the rear) and generated so much friction it welded itself to the block and then the key on the shaft sheared causing the pump to stop instantly with resultant engine failure.
    We had to chisel the nut off the block with a big hammer and cold chisel, a new nut and key was fitted WITH Loctite! and all is well again.
  4. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Sorry to hear that and glad you had it fixed..........fortunately, our engine is still running, but won't rev. higher than 1600rpm.
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Tarek,

I've sent you a PM with the fault codes and possible Part No.s.

Fish
  6. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Thanks Fish............
  7. Micheldecrach

Micheldecrach New Member

evc codes

Hello
    Can you sent me liste of fault codes for volvo d3 160 ib
    Thank's
    Micheldecrach
  8. Slussvakten

Slussvakten New Member

Hello!
    I'm looking for translation of error codes for Volvo Penta D6-370. Any chance that Fish or someone else have one? Or do you know where I can purchase or download these documents?
    My error message is,
    MID 187, PSID 80, FMI 9, OCC 9

Thanks!
    ¤¤¤ Slussvakten
  9. Taylor158

Taylor158 New Member

Looking for fault code list for Volvo Penta d4 code is mid 128 sid 53 fmi 1 new install
  10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Often when you get a mid 128 reading it says a poor power supply to the EVC. Just check your electrical connections and battery supply.