Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

Volvo Penta 550G IPS - low speed vibration?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by c-and-a, Aug 21, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. c-and-a

c-and-a New Member

Did a search and read many threads on IPS - but didn't find this specific topic

I sea trialed a Cruisers 390 Sport Coupe with VP 550G IPS system - at idle/near idle speed - there was a very noticeable vibration - dealer suggested it was air bubbles from exhaust on the hull... seemed like they were some pretty big bubbles :)

Just above idle - vibration was completely gone...

I did find a thread that mentioned a fuel injector...?

Any insight or feedback?

THX!
    Curt
  2. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

Volvo IPS

The Volvo IPS systems vents the exhaust through the drive units themselves, much like a stern drive. Depending on the year of the boat / drives, this is perfectly normal for the IPS drives to be bubbling and causing some vibration on the hull while sitting at the dock / engines running.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Was your mechanical surveyor there?
  4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Depending on how much is hanging over the stern, you will get a bit of bubbling from aft.

Attached Files:

5. c-and-a

c-and-a New Member

No mechanic or surveyor yet - was giving the Admiral a spin on her before I engaged to that level - but definitely will if we move forward...

THX for replies!
  6. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

I assume this happens just when the boat is running in the slip as well? If thats the case, this is normal. Our IPS500 powered Tiara shudders (for lack of better term) while idling in the slip due to the exhaust exiting under the hull. If there is a lot of vibration or it changes while underway I may be a little concerned.

Max
  7. c-and-a

c-and-a New Member

Thx Max!

You are spot-on - at idle it "rumbles" or as you state "shudders"... as soon as you throttle up even slightly it disappears...

I am feeling better that this is normal - and not my overly pessimistic side coming out :)
  8. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

Good Luck.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I have 3 seasons on ours and have taken the time to learn a lot about them (maintenance etc).

Max
  9. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

Ips

c-and-a,

Maxwell hit it spot on the head, I had heard that Volvo was going to install a "dump valve" on the exhaust system, much like Cummins Zeus drives have (they divert exhaust over the side, above the waterline at idle, and then at about 1200RPM is goes through the hub and out through the wakeline.

Feel free to PM me as well, as I have lots of time on IPS and Zeus powered boats of all sizes and builds.
  10. c-and-a

c-and-a New Member

Much appreciated guys - I am crossing fingers I get the deal sorted out and can get into the new boat - yes, that was my subtle request for additional prayers :)

If it happens - you may wish you didn't offer - LOL

Thx Again to All for feedback!
    Curt