Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for MotorCheck Click for Perko

Volvo D6 IPS 500 low rpm

Discussion in 'Engines' started by trikala, Aug 18, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. trikala

trikala New Member

is it ok to run D6 Volvo at low rpm for reduced fuel consumption and safety for long period of time ie 1200-1500 rpm? Is the wear and tear of the supercharger more at low rpm vs the the high rpm 2900-3100 (where the turbo kick in)? Length of the boat 39.
  2. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

That might be best answered by Volvo.
  3. savitt

savitt New Member

Well after owning a boat with IPS 500, and now have IPS 600's I just found out I have never even used the superchargers....The Volvo tech was just out on my boat and I showed me how they work.
    They only come on momenterly when needed, you can test this yourself...from idle just gun the throttles, the SC come on to bump the rpms up to the turbos, (this only takes seconds) you'll actually hear and feel them.

I like you thought they were always on at low rpms, I never push it hard so the computer never switched them on...so like me chances are you never used them either.
    so the answer: is you are not using them at low rpms.

also make sure you have a volvo tech update the software, they have upgrades with in the last few years.

BTW this is my first post, I just had to register to help, since I just went thru this.