Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Perko Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder

Volkswagon on Steroids at Miami Show...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Feb 18, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I know, I know... it's knotta yacht, but it WAS floating. ;) First time I've seen one in person. Thought you guys might enjoy too.... :)

Attached Files:

2. palindrome

palindrome New Member

Pure german sex!
  3. Steven H

Steven H New Member

This is not just a super-car,

This is THE super-car. (Porshe Carrera GT)

Although a Ferrari Enzo, Lamborghini Murcielago, Pagani Zonda, Aston-Martin Vanquisgh (S) and Mercedes SLR do take some beating,

The Porsche Carrera GT hangs them out to dry for overall car performance and overall involvement (actually more important then power). And it comes with German build-quality, warranty and is a limited run series.

On top of that, it has a V10 engine takes can make a F1 car turn green of envie :p

Sorry, but apart from Yachting, I'm also kinda into cars :D
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Where I live there are two brothers, one has a silver, the other black... :cool:
  5. Steven H

Steven H New Member

GGRRRRRRR.......

Some people exist only to make me envy them....

They have 2 * 400.000 Eur cars in the same family :eek: And most likely the garage will be filled with other "interesting stuff "....

Oh well,

If you've got that kind of money, it usually means you've done a million things or more right ...

It's like with the persons that buy these super-yachts...

One can only envy them and admire them at the same time.
  6. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

As hot as that it... I still prefer the 911. :eek:
  7. YachtForums

Kevin... you would take a 911 over the GT? Are you feeling OK? Might be best to call 911 (not the car)... RIGHT NOW!!! :D
  8. Steven H

Steven H New Member

Well I would do to... When I wake up in the real world.
    That is if I even would be able to afford the new 911 (997) Carrera S.

Not even talking about insurance and TAX on sports-cars in Belgium. You're looking at approx 6000 USD (TAX only) to put it on the road and about 3.000 USd annually to keep it there. Insurance is crazy over here (getting almost double of the UK prices) and TAX well....

I think they invented "TAX" in Belgium, cause there is little they don't have a tax for (if anything acutally...).

The only car getting very very close to the Porsche Carrera GT in my humble opinion is the Pagani Zonda Roadster ... They both are very very similar cars (construction and cost-wise ) :D
  9. YachtForums

Here's a REALLY dumb question...

Is "911" an international emergency number, or is that just here in the states? I'm asking because I made reference to you calling 911, which I thought was kind of funny, but you may not recognize the "pun" over there.

Just wondering...
  10. Steven H

Steven H New Member

Hiya Kevin,

As far as I'm aware : 9-1-1 is indeed the Emergency Services Number in the U.S. and only there.

In Europe it is 1-1-2.

I understood the "pun" perfectly (as everyone else will have I assume). Though I felt it was a good point to prefer the 911 over the GT as soon as "economics" take over from " sentiment".

But then again..

How many yachts have been built with "economics" in mind, and how many have been built with "sentiment" in mind.

I'd say :
    Annaliese => Economics
    Pelorus / Octopus / Athena => Sentiment

But I guess that the last part is already part of an ongoing topic around here ;)

GReetz,

S.
  11. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

911 works in Canada too...

Anyways, the reason I said I'd rather have a 911 over a GT is simple: Using a GT in the "real world" would be a royal pain in the arse. I wouldn't be able to go to the mall without being paranoid as to where I'm parking it, let alone the mobs of people that would try and get near it every time I go down to Crescent St. for an evening out. Add to that the fact that it's completely undrivable in the winter (always a consideration here in Quebec) and the 911 Turbo S instantly seems like a far better deal. Six-speeds, AWD for winter shenanigans, and over 440hp, packed into a real world supercar... the ability to drive it more or less incognito (it looks basically like any other 911), and even a backseat!

Edit: Just found this... Enjoy!
    That is what I refer to as a "died and gone to heaven" road.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  12. Ben

Ben Senior Member

Over here in Australia we have "000", but I think most of the english speaking world knows the emergency number in the US. :rolleyes: ;)

Would help if they made them all the same.
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

If I recall right, (since I never had to use it), in Monaco you dial 17 to the Police and 18 to the Fire-brigade. I used to live across the latter and it was quite fun since they never used the sirens until they were around the corner so they shouldn´t wake up their own family living in the same building...

A good car for the Fire Chief is for sale in Sweden right now, he will definitely be first on the scene... ;)

But otherwise I agree with you guys, when can you use such a car, compared to a 997?

Attached Files:

• 6gt.jpg
      6gt.jpg
      File size:
      39.5 KB
      Views:
  14. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

And another thing.... is it just me, or does the GT look far too much like an Elise? :confused:
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

On a picture maybe, but in reality she is much bigger, read longer. Especially roof down she is stunning! :)
  16. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Oh I know it's different for sure... the Elise is virtually a pocket car. I was just thinking about the styling.
  17. JonS

JonS Senior Member

To add to the debate ... over here, as in , the UK, it's 999.. but anyway... i photographed the GT when it was unveiled about 3 or 4 years back and have the photo i took blown up on my wall right now! :p *smirk*

:)
  18. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Mixed message.

Sorry, but thatz a contradiction in terms. :cool:
    The car however, was very cool - almost as much as "Jackie-O" my classic cruiser here in Virginia! :p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  19. YachtForums

TWO classic cruisers... Cool! :cool:

Keep 'em away from salt air!
  20. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Three classic cruisers! The S&S-like sailboat would be my nr 1... ;)