Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Comfort

viking to buy ocean yachts

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by sheraton, Dec 3, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sheraton

sheraton Member

Read the Press of Atlantic City on Monday, the paper reports that Viking is going to buy Ocean Yachts.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

No. Viking is buying the facility from Ocean Yachts. Not the name. Not the Company.
  3. sheraton

sheraton Member

Does make you wonder if Ocean Yachts will go out completely.
  4. olderboater

No, doesn't make me wonder. They're out. Will the son restart something elsewhere? Always possible. But when you sell your facilities, you're pretty well not in business any longer.
  5. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Does someone buy the name and the plugs and wait like Post? Who knows. Lotta great old brands going downtown.
  6. olderboater

There's a feeling the son may want the name and plan on doing something in the future. I can easily picture plans but no execution, a la others from Tollycraft to Post.
  7. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Has any manufacturer picked up Silverton?
  8. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Not exactly. Maybe yes, but that might also depend on your definition of "manufacturer."

Dr. Ira Trocki -- the guy who bought Buddy Davis, Egg Harbor, and a few other brands -- bought the Silverton name and molds.

His group has built a very few boats (5-6?), and I think they have another in production right now. All very much up to the typical build quality Silverton was known for. (Not a Viking or a Hatteras, but a pretty good Chevy and certainly more affordable than a comparably-sized Viking or Hatt.) They've mostly been displayed at boat shows and a few have sold, and I think they're using a single broker... but there's not a dealer network per se.

He had a single Buddy Davis on the market for a long time; don't know outcome of that. Not sure whether that group has built any boats in those other brands.

I keep hoping Viking will buy Silverton (name, and any useful), actually produce boats in the 30' to maybe 45' range, and make that "brand" their "entry-level" segment...

-Chris
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  9. C team

C team Senior Member

Yes, Egg Harbor bought Silverton through bankruptcy. They have all the molds as well as all inventory of parts.
  10. C team

C team Senior Member

I don't think Viking would ever go that route.
  11. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

I don't either, really... and I don't have insight into real facts and figures (market wide, Viking-specific, Silverton-specific) to even know whether it'd be worth the analysis or not. Call it brainstorming.

-Chris
  12. sheraton

sheraton Member

I pass the Viking plant everyday ( work in A.C. ) it's amazing how many new boats they are selling. There is always a boat or two in the water ready to go.
  13. Viking76

Viking76 New Member

Viking has bought Ocean. They plan to have 2 production lines at the Ocean site. They plan to produce the Ocean 37 ft under the Viking brand.
  14. Liam

Liam Senior Member

I think the story is like that; Ocean (name and molds from 42 to 70 model) was sold to Troicki, and Viking bought the plant and molds for the 37.
  15. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

The guys likes to collect molds, no?