Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder

Viking 58c (gen 1) cruise performance?

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by incoming, Aug 29, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. incoming

incoming Member

I’m in he process of buying a late 90’s 58c enclosed bridge with 1200hp mans, a tower, and a dink on the bow. Owner says it cruises 23-25kts at 1950 rpm, and maxes out at 29 kts.

I know not to trust the magazine reviews and Viking brochures that say the boat will cruise at 28-30 kts and top out in the upper 30’s, but it still seems to be about 2 kts short of what it should be from what few real world reports I’ve seen, as well as the owners own recollection of it originally being a solid 25kt cruise boat. Have not sea trialed it yet.

Anyone have experience with this package who can share your experience?

Owner said props were replaced recently - wondering if this may be the issue. Or maybe it’s just all the extra “stuff” is costing it 2-4 kits? One of the magazine reviews talked about these boats coming with special rolla propellers when new.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What rpm's does it max out at? Big difference at cruise speed with MAN's if they achieve 2350 rpms at WOT instead of 2300 or less rpms. The dinghy/davit is a 2 knot loss, the tower another 2 knots loss and the enclosed bridge is another 1-2 knot loss over an open bridge with just a hard top.
  3. incoming

incoming Member

Owner reports they make rated RPM at WOT but will definitely verify in the sea trial.

Appreciate the "rules of thumb" above. If anyone has any performance points at various RPM with or without a tower, dinghy, etc., would be good to hear and use the above knock down factors to see if i'm in the right ball park.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Go look at the 60' Bertram thread and read it. The performance numbers of having crappy props that achieved rpms and a proper set of props are staggering.
    incoming likes this.