Click for Comfort Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for MotorCheck Click for YF Listing Service

Viking 50 convertible

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by Alzira II, Nov 15, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Alzira II

Alzira II Member

I am weighing the pros and cons what I think to is down to 3 boats: Post 50, Hatteras 50, Viking 50. Mid 90s. My engine options are limited as at any given moment I only have about 5-6 for sale to choose from with the right setup. That said on average between the available engines of the day does anyone know how i could see some fuel burn rates for viking 50? I have a good feel for both the post and hatters rates. The post is without a doubt the most efficient albeit lighter but i am interested how the viking compares to hatt. Some of the earlier vikings I think had mans that dropped a bank of cylinders, does anyone know what model that is?or when that went away. Frankly the more I read the more I think i am getting comfortable with dds.
    Thanks again for everyones advice as always.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Can you offer engine models and HP tune for the forum to comment on?
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Also, These different mfg's have different hull designs and wet surface (drag) calculations. It gets hard to further offer real hard data on mfg differences.
    Also, what seas re you traveling in?
    I think, once the engine models are disclosed, better answers could be offered.
    For now, Post fans (Post kids are cool) will recommend their model and the other will also.
    I luv all 3 mfgs and recognize for different reasons and seas.
  4. Alzira II

Alzira II Member

Most of the viking 50 models in my price range are man d2840 840hp or man v10 820
  5. Alzira II

Alzira II Member

Oh and I am a Florida cruiser. keys maybe bahamas not a tourney fisher so I think either brand will give me more than enough comfort in any seas I will want to ride in.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

First thing above all else,,, Has the MAN factory services been preformed on the heat ex-changers?
    Are all MAN service logs current.
    We all luv MANs except they are expensive to maintain. More (very) if required service has not been preformed.
    CATs are expensive also with their after-cooler issues.
    Serious engine surveys will help on all shopping.

MPG and/performance will come in from experienced forum kids.

Any data on your other selections?
  7. Alzira II

Alzira II Member

Capt J got me pretty excited about the Post @ 55gph @26kts ish. The Hatteras 50 seems to be closer to 65gph at slower speed but similar MPG. So really 10gph is all the difference there and with the Hatteras I am getting a much heavier head sea boat. The Post at that speed and burn has me really excited. I was really most curious to see if the viking came out somewhere in the middle between the 2.

for me the pros on the post:
    better looking exterior -my opinion
    faster, efficient
    big cockpit
    great layout for my purposes on interior
    cons:
    aluminum fuel tanks -If they had not been done I would need to plan on changing. I can burn a lot of diesel in a hatteras and still be ahead with the money I may spend replacing fuel tanks.

Pros of hatteras:
    head sea
    bow rail comes further back- 3 kids to worry about for another 6 years or so.
    the fit and finish seems more comfortable for cruising on the bridge
    painted
    fiberglass fuel tanks
    con:
    honestly the layout inside is tight looking
    heavier than I probably need = fuel

Pros of viking:
    beautiful interior, love it
    cons
    don't love the exterior look
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Now we have some data. Dead-rise may be a large contributor in MPG. More V, more wet surface drag, better ride at speed less mpg. Less V in da butt, better MPG but may have less conformable ride at speed.
    Some comments of following sea junk will come up also.
    Did I tell ya I luv all 3 brands but all have different hull designs with pluses and negatives.
    They all will get you home from the stuff. Be patient on the responses that may take a few days to come in.

Because of the Post following here on YF, I have learned a lot of that brand. I am tic'd the company is down but alive on the water.

There is one member who has a MAN 50 Post. Give him a few days to chime in.

If you are truly a fair weather cruiser and don't have to go out for serious fishing, then the style and accommodations may be your shopping point.

Please continue to update your shopping ideas between the brands.
    We all learn when topics like this come up.

Best,
    Ralph
  9. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

I went through the same exercise a few years ago with the same three brands but in the 45-48' range and ended up buying a post 46 and have no regrets. I had a size restriction based on the canal we live on or we would have bought a 50'. We use the boat a lot fishing, and traveling the gulf from Houston to Key West with occasional trips to the Bahamas. The fuel efficiency of the post along with the relatively shallow draft and interior layout made it an easy decision for us. I'm also an old Detroit mechanic so that part was easy for me.
    Actually thinking about putting in a pair of 892's in place of the 692's but that's another post for another day.
  10. Mattd2384

Mattd2384 New Member

Not to chime in but I'm looking at a 50 viking with the 1050 mans. Looking foward to reading who else chimes in with more knowledge.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I used to maintain a 2001 50' Viking SF with 1050 man's. Boat ran like a raped ape at cruise, 37 knots. However, lots of smoke and vibration at 1000 rpms and under as the mans ran on one bank of cylinders. Boat had a very nice layout with 3 staterooms. Rolled quite a bit at hull speed in the ICW or sitting at a bridge and waiting with 12" wakes, hardtop boat.
  12. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I've had my 50 with 820's for 20 years. Fast 1850 rpm 27 knots 50-55 gph. /1950 30 knots/top end 36 knots. 6 degree deadrise makes it a very stable platform with an enormous cockpit. Does not rock and roll like most of the deep Vee's. Because of the added distance between the 4 blades props (16' 11' beam) she is very responsive, no need for a forward thruster. She can be a bit wet is a larger head sea, but trim her up and slow down, and she gets thru most recreational seas you'll run in just fine.

Hugh salon, fit and finish is top of the line. Every piece of hardware is first grade. The aluminum tanks are in very dry areas, and painted.

820's and the 50 IMO are the perfect match. they will run all day at 1850 (generator rpm) Take care of them they take care of you. Regularly serviced with no major issues. 1800 hours.

Hattie and Viking are also great boats, but for different reasons. To me Vikings are tight inside and don't carry enough beam aft, but they will take a head sea better that a Post.
  13. Mattd2384

Mattd2384 New Member

Just wanted to post up and see how everyone's doing. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! Still looking at some boats and still looking at the 50 Vikings. Found a 61 with cats but can't justify 93gph at cruise . So we more less decided on a 50 express . Love the layout and fishability. We will mostly be day fishing with some overnighters and fishing some tournaments. The inside layout is huge for an express and more then suits what we want . Plus the express with the 1050s is quite fast . Hopefully surveying in the next three weeks. I'll keep y'all posted.

Attached Files:

14. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Nice looking boat, good luck with your purchase!