Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

Viking 38 Aft Cabin

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by MindsEye, Jul 10, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MindsEye

MindsEye Guest

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Viking 38 aft cabin and am currently doing some hull work right now. Anyone out there who owns one of these old "woodys"?

I will likely have lots of questions and would love to see pictures of your boat!
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I used to own a 1969/1970 Viking 38 FB Sedan. Same hull as yours. I may be able to help. What are your questions? I'm on the ES of Md. too. I'll try to scare up some old pics and scan them to post.
  3. MindsEye

MindsEye Guest

Thanks Eric,

I have the boat in Edgewater now. Unfortunately, she is suffering the effects of the 10% ethanol in the fuel with my carbs needing rebuilt and both engines needing valve jobs...

The only major rot on the boat is in the wood beam that supports the bow pulpit which is of course under the fiberglass deck skin.

I'm hoping to get her back in the water this fall and moving around under her own power. That rot may have to wait till next spring. We will see.

By the way, pictures would be great!

Michael
  4. MindsEye

MindsEye Guest

Type of Planking on the boat

Eric,

Is this vintage boat double planked? I have not opened her up to really see.

Michael
  5. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I finally got the chance to scan the old photos of my old 38 Viking Sedan. As far as I know, your boat should be mahogany (single) carvel plank over steam bent oak frames. Here are the photos of mine, around 20 years ago.

Attached Files:

6. MindsEye

MindsEye Guest

Wow... what a beauty!

What a beautiful boat she was!

I think that it is the same hull. My old girl is not aged quite as well but hopefully a winter of work will bring her back a bit. I'm scaling back my plans and will redo the bottom and some near water line repairs before dropping her back in the water.

I can work on other things in the slip.
  7. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

Remember, those are 20 year old photos.
  8. MindsEye

MindsEye Guest

Viking 38

Yes but it still looks great.

Here is a few shos of my boat just before I picked her up. It was evently Christmas 365 days a year...LOL

Attached Files:

9. Jason38Viking

Jason38Viking New Member

Hi Guys, Beautiful! I fell in love with a 1970 Viking Aft Cabin 3 years ag. She's been out of the water for 2 years now and we are in the final stages of a working restoration. I'll post some pictures of her in th Spring. I would like to meet/contact more owners of these beautuful carvel planked Vikings, so if you have one please reach out to me. I'm located just north of Toronto, Ontario and we will be crusing in Georgian Bay and the North Channel.

Attached Files:

10. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Please keep pics under 640 pixels in width.