Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn

Victim of Hurricane Michael

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by GhostriderIII, Oct 20, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

2. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Eastern Shipyard and Panama City got hammered. They also have the USCG Offshore Patrol Cutter Program as well and it will be delayed some.
    Lots of the shipyard workers lost everything and are totally displaced for the time being.
  3. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

Panama City is in terrible shape. The beach survived pretty good with the exception of a couple of dry storage buildings at grand lagoon and various houses, but downtown, Calloway, Lynn Haven and all points east are a catastrophe. We are just west of Hathaway Bridge and our neighborhood is probably 50% destroyed. The few boats that tied out in our canal(including ours) survived with minimal damage, but the bay is littered with boats along the the southwestern shore. St. Andrews and Panama City Marinas are both destroyed.
  4. GhostriderIII

And what of Carabelle, St Georges, Port St Joe?
  5. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

Mexico Beach took a hard hit as well as Port St. Joe and Cape San Blas. We haven't seen St. George Island but A friend who lives there reported that the island was pretty much covered with water. I haven't heard anything about wind damage there. Not sure about Carabelle, but I imagine it is bad as well.
  6. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

St. Joe marina is destroyed, Cape San Blas was breached with major damage, St. George Island major damage, Carrabelle had a bit of damage around the waterfront. All appeared to have large surge tide damage.
  7. GhostriderIII

Mexico Beach was olde Florida cracker homes. Mostly they were grandfathered in when the building codes changed. I see where only one home on stilts on the beach survived.
  8. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

The owner was interviewed on TV. It was built to withstand around 250 mph winds and had little damage. The only negative was when the owner said it cost twice as much to build than the local building codes.
  9. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Sadly, the Florida legislature has refused to go along with a statewide code even in coastal areas so the only county that has 150 mph code is Miami-Dade and Broward has 140 mph. However, most Broward construction is done to Miami Dade code today. Initially, the higher codes increased the cost of construction significantly, I was told as much as 25%. However, once you got all building being done at those levels great efficiencies were developed and these codes were the norm so the cost of higher codes is now more in the 10% area. Even that has payback too in other ways. You build a home to these codes and your utility bills well be far less, insurance bills far less, and the home will be more comfortable as far easier to control the climate.

It's amazing how much more energy efficient our home is than any we had in NC. Even with the best codes, I would have expected some flooding in Mexico Beach as levels never before reached were hit. However, the concept is really simple. You start with concrete and no wood framed homes and you build them above maximum flood levels. Then just quality roofs, doors and windows. Yet, I've seen homes built along the coasts of NC and TX to replace those destroyed in hurricanes and the new homes would never stand up either.
  10. GhostriderIII

And, that's because of Andrew. I know all about it. Country Walk was built by Pulte. The inspectors were a waste of money, but required by the mortgage company. I had my own engineer look at the home I was going to buy...he found discrepencies the inspector failed to disclose. The most agregious errors was in Country Walk where over half the buildings were flattened. No concrete above five courses of block, no rebar, no straps of any kind. No insulation in the walls anywhere. No vapor barriers on the walls or the slab. No radon abatement. It was a disaster waiting for the right moment and Andrew provided it.
  11. olderboater

South Florida learned from Andrew but no where else appears to have learned.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I saw the interview and he corrected the rumor about twice the cost. He said it was about 20%

I have never understood why homes are built out of matchsticks and roofs are nailed together. I lived on St Barth’s in the 80s and 90s. My house survived cat 2 Hugo in 89 and slow moving Cat 5 Luis in 95. Blocks with reinforced concrete columns at every corner, around every window and door. Roof was thru bolted. Even the wide galleries survived. We only lost the gutters.

I d rather have a house that s 25% smaller but hurricane proof.
  13. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

We spent about $20k for hurricane protection rated at 140 mph but still had wood construction. It initially saved about $1k annually on insurance. Over time our insurance has double. No way would we stay in our house for a hurricane like Michael. Luckily we have a neighbor with a concrete bunker that will let us use it if needed. Our lot cannot be replaced, we would have to knock down a perfectly good house to build concrete construction and wouldn't happen unless we lose it to a hurricane. I'm with Pascal on a smaller hurricane proof house!
  14. GhostriderIII

DelTec (www.DelTechomes.com) builds circular homes that I've seen on the NC coast that have survived countless storms. I was so impressed by them, I created one of my own - not of wood, but of concrete ICFs. On stilts steel I-beams 15cm x 25cm (posts) encased with 62cm diameter 6000 psi cement. The wetter it is the harder the mix and the longer it lasts. Once the second floor was laid in concrete with 6x6 steel mesh reinforcement (just as in most commercial buildings) it was kept wet for 90 days., Then the ICF walls - metal roof with straps were added. No a/c - not needed where I live. Ceiling fans and a central heating. Time to build 112 sq mt home 140 days and cost was $150,000 Euros. From the height we get very good cross ventilation, so like I said a/c isn't needed - just another expense we don't need. Electricity here runs about 2 Euros/kwh - yes expensive. When we use the wind generators, we can keep the costs down.
  15. olderboater

I believe it's actually 20 Euro cents per kwh or 0.2 Euro per kwh you meant to say. Even that would be an increase over the 16 Euro Cents last year if those are current numbers.
  16. GhostriderIII

Current rate is 48.444 ISK or 0.350691 EUR or 0.400558 USD
  17. olderboater

My point was that it is not 2 euros/kwh as you said. You had a misplaced decimal.
  18. GhostriderIII

I have a problem with English - it's my third language. So would you mind repeating that again LOUDER?