Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights

Vibration on 10V 1050hp Man engine

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Ringleader, Jan 21, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ringleader

Ringleader Guest

Looking for some probable causes and solutions for a vibration that I am experiencing on a Man 10V 1050hp diesel engine. My problem is that when the engine is in the warming up mode a vibration is felt in the 650 -900 RPM range and appears to decrease as the PRM is increased ... waiting for some feedback ASAP ... thanks ... Michael.
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I have 1998 Man 820's 10cyl. Mine don't, but some can vibrate at low rpms because of the cylinder cut out feature. Below 1000rpm they run on about 5 cyclinders. Could that be the source?
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Every single pair I've run have vibrated at those speeds when cold and even when warm, expecially in SF's where you have large engines in a small boat, like a 50' SF I ran with them. The vibration decreases as engine speed increases because they only run on 1 bank of cylinders (left bank I believe) until they get to around 1000 rpms or so.

But, needless to say, check all of your motormounts and such as well as harmonic balancer. Also, have they been maintained properly. Major things on MAN's are changing fuel injectors, adjusting valves (1000 hrs), and heat exchangers/aftercoolers. If the valves need adjusting they can run rougher when cold and run a little better when they warm up and the metals have expanded a little.