Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

Vibration & Cutlass Bearings?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by roamertim, Jun 6, 2010.

1. roamertim

roamertim Member

Hello Fellow Roamers,
    My first cruise of the year last weekend - Hooray!
    Vibration in port shaft so much that I shut her down - boo!

I did not hit anything - never noticed any bump. next day, I went into the river and felt the props. I do not feel any dings, especially nothing that could produce such large vibration in the shaft - The port engine was actually shaking when I shut it down. Could not firmly grasp the shaft when inthe river to check tightness in the strut, but it was not wobbly, anyway.
    Also, prop turns by had with about same freedom as starboard.

I have yet to pull the boat, so cannot tell if strut has broken and without visual, can't be sure that prop is 100%.

I am wondering if the problem could be a worn out cutlass bearing. Anyone had experience like this due to a bearing?

Has anyone replaced their cutlass bearings? Imaging that I have to pull the shafts, which will be tons of fun given that shaft had to be beat into the collar with a sledge. (long story, but port shaft sheared three years ago and was lucky enough to have a spare. Likely, was a wee bit large, but it went in okay.)

Is this a job for do-it-yourselfers? I could use the engines aligned - thinking that is why the shaft sheared a few years back, but haven't had it done yet. Finding good marine repair services along the Ohio River, Cincinnati pool, is rather difficult.

Thanks,
    Tim

Current custodian of the "Fun Spot", the 1st of the 38 foot aluminum Regals
    1969 38' Regal Roamer, aluminum

PS - Still had a heck of a fun four day weekend on the River, even with one engine!
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Obviously a chipped prop isn't the problem. Prop could be bent, strut bent or broken, cutlass bearing bad, shaft bent, that engine allignment or any combination thereof. That boat needs to be hauled right away. It sounds like you could be doing further damage with each swing of the prop. I'd be especially suspicious of that "spare" shaft since it had previously been changed. Do you know if the former owners fixed it or left it to be fixed if ever needed? If the shaft is bent it could cause problems all up and down the line.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

How does the engine run in neutral, and if you rev it up? It could be an issue with the engine internally, either not running on all cylinders or bent rod/crankshaft etc etc. It can also be a broken motor mount. Also alignment. Those I would check 1st before hauling the boat out of the water.
  4. A worn cutlass will rumble and change frequency with load... like going across someones wake etc. Could be a broken flex plate. They crack around the crank bolts. Quit beating that stuff together!! You can take a round file and clean the coupling bore a few .000s , or heat it to 250F but DONT BEAT IT Billy Jean!! ws
  5. roamertim

roamertim Member

All very good advice, guys. I will check reving up the engine in neutral this weekend, looking for any shake in the engine without load. The spare shaft I installed had not been used before. The previous "custodian" had the misfortune of tying up the Fun Spot on some stumps in the creek going into our harbor. He had bent the port shaft and, lucky for me, had 2 shafts made, putting the new port shaft back in. I do not know if he replace the cutlass bearing at the time. I took my harbor master's advice in "beating the shart into the coupling", but in hindsight, I know I wouldn't do it again. Thanks for the advice on this.
    We are on the same page, fellers. I did not run that engine again, until right at the dock and needing the twins to bring in the boat. Won't run it again until I pull it. I'll certainly assess the engine, at idle and at higer neutral rpms, but, knowing it was okay last fall, I wonder more about that strut..
    THANKS
  6. . I took my harbor master's advice in "beating the shart into the coupling", but in hindsight, I know I wouldn't do it again. Thanks for the advice on this.

Imagine taking a single ball from a bearing, setting it on a concrete sidewalk and hitting it one time with a 4 lb hammer. Itll either make a hole in the concrete or shatter... in your case, smacking the shaft into the couplings probably only cracked the case hardening on the trans output bearings. But, thats why the harbor master makes the big bux selling "beer flags".
    Personally, I'd break the coupling and do some initial run-up testing, then make it up and move the boat against some strong wall (or your dock if its healthy enough!) and put it in gear to simulate a load at varying engine speeds. That should isolate running gear versus motive vibrations. ws
  7. It could honestly be as simple as a spark plug wire falling off. Mine will rattle the store boughts at slow speeds running on 7 like you wouldnt believe! Combine that with the reduction gear lash and it makes a gosh awful sound! ws