Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Cross

Vessel Documentation Portal Scam/deception

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by motoryachtlover, Dec 6, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I know this has been covered but I got the attached today and they want 3X as much as the coast guard to document your vessel. The website is pretty clever. They have a CG looking boat in the background with the typical CG logo but instead if you look close you can see it says Vessel Documentation Portal. They are pretty slick as it about the time for my renewal and they have my name and doc number. The person on the phone did readily admit that they were not the CG but said he didn’t know what the CG charged for the same. Any how be on the lookout. B421ECA3-58A3-483C-8977-32E121DB089A.jpeg
  2. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

I would hope for as long as that sham has been around the powers that be would have looked into a way of shutting them down.
    Some years ago there was a black out in this area where it turned out all of the people were thinking of course someone called the power company so they did not. When I eventually called, they said they had no report on our outage.
    In another example I recently had a conversation with a city manager on a nearly two year "thing" I've been involved with and along with the pledge of support was also a comment that my information was the first he had heard of the ongoing issue.
    Maybe in my two examples they were both FOS but perhaps if everyone that reads your post will write or call their Federal Reps change will take place.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yawn. This has been going on for years.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

They are doing nothing illegal and when requested by the USCG to modify their site and make it clearer, they have done so. I would simply say to everyone caught and paying an extra $50, you should thank them for the cheapest lesson you could learn as there are thousands of scams out there from Social Security to anything you can imagine and if $50 teaches one to be more careful, then worth it every day.

This specific spam points out two issues. First was the USCG making the addresses of all documented owners available. Second is that one can buy top ranking in searches. If one wanted to buy ads on the words "Yacht Forums" to promote themselves, then it would appear above this site. Now if Carl could then prove the words weren't relevant to their site, he could get them removed.

The most dangerous to you are all the emails pretending to be your bank, your computer provider, Microsoft or anyone else. Today, you can't trust anything at face value. Now before one talks about the changing world, you never could. That well dressed insurance salesman you met at your local general store 50 or 100 years ago or the roofer who showed up at your door, all the same.
  5. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Is the intent to deceive enough to break the law? I had that same question and my thread title reflects that “scam/deception”. I think we can all agree the practice is unethical. I just posted it here to help others avoid the mistake. Especially now that apparently you have to renew for 5 years now. So instead of $125 through the CG you pay these guys $375 and who knows if they submit your application to the CG.
  6. olderboater

They argue that a lot of people need assistance. Others need reminding. Most now have a clear disclaimer that they are not associated with the CG. Now, do I feel they are ethical? No. But lot's of businesses I feel that way about. The reputation of most is that they do promptly submit to the CG. My point is as scams go it's a small one and should serve as a warning to people before they fall for a much worse such scam. Simple rule is never respond to a mailer or emailer. Always go directly to the site. Make sure it's the site of the entity you want. Do not go there through a link. People need to get those rules in mind. Too many chances to lose large amounts. Respond to a bank link and go into the crook's website and enter your id and password and you're wiped out.
  7. Ward

Ward Senior Member

A general rule of thumb that I've always followed is that you NEVER do something that someone out of the blue tells you to.

If an email says "click here" - don't. If it says "look at this attachment" - don't. Viruses or password theft await...

If it says "this is an important message, forward it to everyone you know" - don't. Every single one of these I've seen has been bogus in some way.

If a robo-call says "press 1 to speak to an agent" - don't. If they want to talk, they should get a real person to call.

Similar to this CG scam, there are people who mail out domain name renewal notices, hoping that you'll renew for them (for an extra charge) instead of dealing directly with your current registrar.

OTOH, if a Lawyer or retired General or politician from an obscure African country asks you to contact him to receive a couple million dollars....
  8. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Or the ghost of Ed McMahon contacts you to say you may already have won........
  9. olderboater

And they scam millions from seniors who can't afford it by guaranteeing they are winners and getting them to buy $20-50 per month worth of garbage.