Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking

Very new, how to get a foothold?

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by CaliAloha, May 30, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CaliAloha

CaliAloha New Member

I'm a 29 year old American currently going up and down the west coast of Italy, looking to get on the sea for work. So far I've..

Posted profiles on Crewfile and findacrew (with email updates)
    Been researching the seafarer's book to see if I need one
    Shopped around for Competent Crew courses (they'll cost me between 520-1000 pounds) and I'm not sure if I need one

My experience is handling a 24 foot powerboat in fresh water and living on a ship while diving.

I'm preparing to walk through the marinas of Italy, but that seems like a really inefficient use of time and energy, which is why I'm writing this. Anyone have suggestions? Also, what's needed and what's not relating to certifications and "passports"?

Thanks for your time,

Greg
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

3. CaliAloha

CaliAloha New Member

Thanks K1W1,

I wonder too, is there a specific place to inquire at at the marinas, or is just walking the docks and asking whoever I see the best thing to do there?

Thanks,

Greg
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I don't know much about job seeking in Italy but would suggest you are better to head for Viareggio, La Spezia or Genoa, failing that move to the west into France and get up early , not wasted from the night before, look smart and pound the docks
  5. CaliAloha

CaliAloha New Member

Hi K1W1,

Which would you focus on first "pounding the docks" or getting STCW95/Competent Crew certs?

Thanks,
    G
  6. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

I know the question is not addressed to me but if you want my advice:

Get your STCW-95 first
    Get a local cell phone number
    get business cards printed with your headshot, contact details and qualifications on the backside.
    Dress yourself smart; like you already got the job (white polo, deckshoes etc.) and walk the docks early in the morning and try to befriend crew and marina personel.

It will probaply take a while and you might want to settle for something less than you really looking for but when you're in it will become easier moving on to other boats.

Here is SE Asia we have a yacht we call the "floating crew-pool". Work conditions are bad and the pay is really low, therefor crew turn-over is high. First timers use it to get their first reference.

Good luck!
  7. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Greg,
    Are you in Italy because you exhausted all your opportunities in the states? You do need your STCW so focus on that first but also hit the docks and be seen. Get to know other crew/captains and go to any networking/crew events you can get to and work the crowds. Be professional and you should stand out.
    Good luck.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I personally feel that the ENG1 and STCW Course are the ones to concentrate on.

If you can get a daywork opening while trying to get the course done all well and good. The ENG 1 can be obtained at an approved Doctors in about 20 mins as long as you are in reasonable condition and have no prohibited conditions.
  9. CaliAloha

CaliAloha New Member

Hey all,

About shoes, I've got a pair of black Five Fingers from Vibram. I was told they were originally invented for yacht racing, so they were designed with ship work in mind. Will they work as dock shoes?

To the question about why I'm in Italy. I'm traveling around the world and need to refill the coffers while being close to what I love.

All the best and thanks!
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Those shoes are designed to give you grip on a wet rolling deck. That tread will also collect dirt. If you're going to work on a cruising yacht get a pair of topsiders or the like that won't leave marks and won't carry dirt.