Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums

Vector graphic fills (trials and tribulations)

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by KCook, Dec 17, 2005.

1. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Ok, I have been guilty of beating the vector graphic drum for Corel Draw. However I have now stubbed my toe on a really annoying shortcoming:

Corel Draw allows color fills only for objects. Which is absolutely no issue for isolated objects. Very easy to combine the line segments into an object, and then fill. Adjacent areas are a whole other kettle of fish. As adjacent areas (objects) will share the same line segments in many cases. The only way to accomplish this sharing is to duplicate the line segment. Then assign the duplicate segment to the new object. Which is a royal PITA. It would be far easier if Corel Draw allowed you to fill any arbtrary area bound by line segments. Even when those line segments have NOT been organized into an object.

But Corel is the only vector graphic program I have tried. Do any of the other vector programs out there allow you to fill an arbitrary area? Without descending into the object definition game?

steaming Kelly
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Kelly,

Don´t know exactly your problem? Are you drawing single lines and then connecting them to get an object or are you using the bezigon points to make objects? With the latter you can fill instantly and also make the lines invisible afterwards if you like. Unlike pixelpaint programs, the true vector programs need defined borders to fill with colours. I think there are programs combining the two to get spray effects and similar, but can´t remember where I have seen it.
  3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

"Are you drawing single lines and then connecting them to get an object" - Yes, I start with unassociated lines that are bezier curves.

Corel does also provide for planting shapes onto the drawing. Which are certainly trivial to fill. However mutating those into complex shapes, or making sides of adjoining shapes conform to each other, is not so easy. Thus I have been starting with lines, as in a sketch.

Connecting such lines for a single object is not the problem. Getting two objects to share the same line seems impossible. Without duplicating that line for the second object.

Kelly
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, you can duplicate and cut in the lines, but most of the times you dont have to share a line, just put the objects on top of each other...

Attached Files:

5. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Humm. Just let the object layer order take care of the boundary between objects instead of sharing lines. Does make sense Lars, good suggestion! Please excuse me now while I go beat myself up ...

novice Kelly
  6. TomTom

TomTom Member

7. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I have the Corel Graphics Suite 12, which includes their CorelPhotoPaint for bitmap work. Not fun to jump between Draw and PhotoPaint however. Does look as though that Xara product tries to streamline these differences.

Kelly