Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for Furuno

Vapor lock

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Lonny Coffey, Jul 8, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Lonny Coffey

Lonny Coffey New Member

I own a 1992 Carver 33 with twin 454s. Years ago I had a vapor locking problem on my starbord engine. A friend suggested I put cloths pins on the fuel line to absorb the heat. I know what you are thinking but it worked (of seemed too) for years. Now problem is back, any suggestions on how to fix?
  2. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Get new clothes pins. lol

Seriously, never heard of that solution and would tend to think that it doesn't work. Wood is not a good conductor of heat.
    Trace the fuel line and see if it runs next to a hot part of the engine. You may need to get a new fuel line and reroute away from the hot spot. Also make sure the fuel tank vent is clean. Maybe the fuel starvation is not from vapor lock but inability for fuel to flow. Does this happen all the time, on very hot days, when tanks are full or near empty, at end of a long trip?
  3. Lonny Coffey

Lonny Coffey New Member

The problem has been gone for maybe 4 years and just came back so I really don't have a good occurence list. It has done it the last 4 times out. It occurs after the boat has been sitting for some at bowie, restaurnat etc. I am on a small lake so no long trips etc. I will try what you suggest, thanks, a million, Lonny
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would try changing fuel filters and fuel line. It sounds like you took on fuel with some ethanol in it. The ethanol in gasoline has been doing a big number on the older gasoline hoses and such. I've seen on the silver mercury outboard fuel hose where the inner clear casing disintigrates and clogs up with pieces........
  5. Lonny Coffey

Lonny Coffey New Member

Captain J, thanks for the advice, my fuel line is metal and it is unusual I have never had any problem at all with the port engine, only starboard. Lonny
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Cool engines, short runs, doesn't sound like vapor lock. Check your vacuum hoses, carb jets and fuel pump. Any chance of a slight blockage in that fuel line?
  7. Lonny Coffey

Lonny Coffey New Member

NYCAP123, the engines are at temp with Gen running in extrememly small engine room, at this time have no idea what the problem is but will start checking, thanks, Lonny
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

when you stop after a hot run, try keeping the engine compartment hatch open (if possible and if you're not on the boat)... also , try keeping the blower running that will blow hot air out and pull cooler air in. Might help.

fuel formulation may affect vapor lock, along with warmer temperatures at this time of the year. hard to be sure, vapor lock problems are not exact science.
  9. Lonny Coffey

Lonny Coffey New Member

Pascal, thanks, engine compartment is very small and opens into the salon, I did think about running a fan in compartment to move air more to help fan. Hot is correct if is in the 105 temp range now in N. Texas, thanks. Lonny
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

well a fan is only going to move hot air around... run the blowers instead, that will get cooler air in.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

At 105* you probably need to run the blowers at all times and may need to in fact use a larger blower fan. You may also need to rejet your carbs.