Click for Mag Bay Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Mulder

USS Williamsburg (ex. Aras)

Discussion in 'Vintage & Classic Yachts' started by qxo34, Jul 29, 2004.

1. qxo34

qxo34 New Member

Could anyone help me in finding more info on this ship...

Thanks, qxo34.
  2. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Where or where did my little boat go...

The Williamsburg was originally the yacht "Aras"(Sara backward). She was constructed by the Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine, for Mr. Hugh J. Chisholm, and was launched on December 8, 1930. The yacht ARAS had her trial trip on January 10, 1931 and had 614 net tonnage; length 243 feet, 9 inches; breadth 36 feet, 1 inch; depth moulded amidship 21 feet, 10 inches. She was acquired by the U.S. Government on April 24, 1941 and renamed the USS Williamsburg PG-56. When President Truman assumed office the USS Potomac had been condemned by the Navy Department as being unfit for duty in open waters and recommended using the U.S.S Williamsburg as the Presidential yacht. President Truman accepted the recommendation and on November 10, 1945 took her first cruise as the Presidential Yacht. President Truman made several short cruises down the Potomac. On August 16, 1946 the USS Williamsburg departed Washington, D.C. with President Truman on board, for a trip to Quonset Point, Rhode Island. On August 20, 1946 she got underway for Bermuda in company with the USS WEISS returning to Washington September 2, 1946. President Truman entertained several foreign leaders aboard the yacht; May 1, 1947, President Migual Aleman of Mexico; December 5, 1950, Prime Minister Clement R. Attlee and January 5, 1952, Prime Minister Winston Churchill. The Navy manned the Williamsburg with 8 officers, 130 men and 26 stewards.

The yacht was decommissioned in 1953 per the orders of President Eisenhower. Laid up from 1953 to 1962, she was sold in 1962 to the National Science Foundation, renamed ANTON BRUUN, and used for research in 10 trips to the Indian Ocean and 8 to the Pacific Ocean. Involved in a drydock accident in 1968. Sold the same year at auction and renamed WILLIAMSBURG. Later sold to a Philadelphia company for a clubhouse at Penn's Landing. Sold in 1981, with the new owner planning to convert the ship to a floating restuarant/hotel in the Salem River, New Jersey. This never took place and the ship deteriorated spending 12 years docked in the Potomac River off of Blue Plains. Ownership transferred to the Presidential Yacht Trust and April 15,1993 transferred to the U.S.S.Williamsburg Corp., who planned to have her restored at the Valdettaro Shipyard in Italy for use as a cruise ship along the East Coast between Key West, Florida and New England. However, these plans were never realized. :mad:

By 1998 Williamsburg had deteriorated to this sad state, gutted and awaiting scrapping, at La Spezia, Italy. :( The former yacht was faced with imminent scrapping, but an urgent appeal to the Italian government saved her, temporarily at least. An organization has been formed with the goal of returning Williamsburg to the US for restoration and preservation. The USS Williamsburg Preservation Society may be contacted at 262 McLaws Circle, Suite 203, Williamsburg, VA 23187.

Not surprisingly, she's for sale:
    http://www.maritimecentral.com/Yach...g__75mt__Classic_1930__30_000_000_EUR/1956/0/

Attached Files:

3. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

30 Meellion Euros!!!!!!

:eek:

Wow what a price tag... I want some of what they are smokin! ;)
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You missed the bottom line;

(Price inclusive of refit/refurbishment works)

A bargain I think! :)
  5. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

I did an iota...

...actually, I read it as 30,000 Euros = value of scrap?
    Sheesh!!
  6. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

I would hate to have to negotiate that yard bill.... they are trying to sell a boat thats currently scrap....
    but... if you pay 30 million euros we will fix it up all nicey nice for you before you can have it!

Why not just buy the rusted hulk for 5 bucks and spend the 30 million in a yard of your choice to get the results you want :confused:
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  7. mcserrato

mcserrato Guest

The top deck of the rusting Williamsburg is gone, and because of this, it floods often. The Italian shipyard will not sell her unless the buyer restores her with them, as they want to make back all the money they have spent keeping her afloat. But I'm sure that their patience is running out.
  8. Endymion28

Endymion28 New Member

Just to add to what has already been posted regarding ARAS. She was the 3rd and largest of a line of yachts known in the Indian Harbor Yacht Club as the "Black Beauties" owned by Hugh J. Chisholm as stated ARAS was SARA mr Chisholm's wife's name in reverse.

The 2nd ARAS was sold to new owners in San Francisco to make way for the 3rd and largest ARAS but unfortunately the Chef set fire to the galley and the new owners never got to enjoy their new purchase.

President Truman had a "Clumsy" deckhouse added aft of the Pilot House to enjoy his favourite poker games.

The fifth yacht bearing the name ARAS owned by Mrs Chisholm was an 83 ft Trumpy launched in 1964.
  9. Manusel

Manusel Member

Aras III

Any data on the third Aras? Length, designer , builder, picture, etc? Here's an article abut Aras I

Attached Files:

10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

11. Endymion28

Endymion28 New Member

Hi Manusel,

ARAS III is actually the USS Williamsburg. Some of the info i have differs from what is said but my info comes direct from the Indian Harbor Yacht Club of which Hugh J. Chisholm was a lifelong member.

Ok so ARAS III was laid down on the 19th of March 1930 at the Bath Iron Works on the Kennebec River, Bath, Maine. She was launched on the 8th of December 1930 and then underwent fitting out.

At the time of her launching her specifications were 243 ft LOA, 36 ft Beam, 15 ft Draft and weighed in at a healthy 1333 tons. Because of her size she couldn't be moored at the Yacht Club so she was moored out by Great Captains Island which was owned at the time by George Lauder Jr also the owner of the Schooner Endymion. Apparently ARAS III made a great stake boat for the Junior Sailing program but caused much annoyance at the same time because her great size caused massive wind shift.

Strangely enough the club information on Hugh J. Chisholm states that he didn't actually sell ARAS II until 1934 which is 4 years after he took delivery of ARAS III.

If you want further information on the old lady i would suggest contacting Mystic Seaport who i believe hold her original plans and or Indian Harbor Yacht Club.

Hope this helps

Doug
  12. Manusel

Manusel Member

So, the Aras II pictured in my ad was burned by the chef? You know what year and who the San Francisco owners were? Also what do you know about the Aras IV and the Aras I. my e-mail is (deleted, use PM)
  13. Endymion28

Endymion28 New Member

Just in case you didn't get my message.

ARAS IV is an 83 ft Trumpy (Mathis), built in 1963 for Mrs Sara Chisholm. There are a number of pictures on the web if you search for her under her previous name WISHING STAR.

I am also happy to report that she is back in the Chisholm family and has been renamed ANDREA ARAS after Colin Chisholm's wife Andrea and i believe she's based down your way in Florida.

I know nothing at present regarding the original ARAS but in regards to ARAS II i can tell you that she was launched on the 11th of June 1926 by Newport News Shipbuilding. Hull number 308. I think it's most likely that she sank in the bay in 1930 as stories from the IHYC state that she caught fire and exploded.

I can tell you nothing definitive about the new owners unfortunately everything i have is pure speculation from the facts present.

They were residence of San francisco (assumed because this was ARAS II's final destination). They must have been particularly wealthy, not just because ARAS II was a large yacht but because she was also based on the east coast, which involves either going to or sending someone to see her, then arrange to have her shipped back to San Francisco. All of this takes money but more importantly it takes knowledge which leads me on to the next point. The new owners must have either belonged to or had connections to a prominent Yacht Club and the only one i know of that is still around and had members experienced with purchasing vessels on the east coast would be the St Francis Yacht Club of San Francisco.

I hope this helps.
  14. Manusel

Manusel Member

The Wishng Star/Andrea Aras made headlines a year or so when the Chisholms were exposed as massive welfare cheats.
  15. Endymion28

Endymion28 New Member

Hello Manusel,

How are you? its been a long time! What happened with Chisholms, i didnt see this.
  16. Manusel

Manusel Member

Hi Endymion28! It's so much easier to use this site now that it has the Vintage & Classic button to go right where I want to go. I plan on posting here a lot more.