Click for Glendinning Click for MotorCheck Click for Furuno Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service

Using the Washing machine?

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by PtJudeRI, Mar 10, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Senior Member

:confused:

What's the deal here, the washing machine tub has a large white "travel device" in the tub that I can't remove?? Takes up most of the tub, save a small center insert and an inch or two on the outside. Does this come out? I can't find anything online about its use! Any help would be appreciated
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If you could tell everyone what type of washing machine it is you might get more of a response.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

New washing machines often have an insert to stabilize the drum during transport. Since washing machines on boats often don't get used it could have been left in. I'd expect it to be either a light plastic or Styrofoam cover place over the drum before the lid was installed. It will have to be broken or cut out. HOWEVER, could you post a picture before you do that just to be sure?
  4. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

Hi PtJude,

I have a 2000 50' Post. My washing machine has a round insert with two sliders made out of (I think) starboard material. The sliders are held in an open position by a center insert piece held in place with a cotter pin. On my set up, you remove the cotter pin then pull up on the center insert piece. Then you move the two slider pieces in toward the center until they touch. At that point the round insert can be removed and stored. Attached is a picture of the washer and dryer for reference. I didn't have any pics of the insert...

Attached Files:

5. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    Just curious, do you ever use it?

Would be the last thing I would install…...
  6. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I dont use my washer and dryer often,
    but it is really nice to have when you do need it.

I don't think it will handle a steady diet of weekly laundry for a liveaboard, but it does really well with the occasional small load.

I think frequent use of the dryer would add a lot of unwanted moisture to the boat.

btw, my dryer is 110 and does take longer to dry than a 220 dryer but it can still get the job done.
  7. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

I do use mine as well. 3 kids and we usually live aboard during July and August. It actually comes in very handy. Moisture is not a problem as we live up in Michigan where it's fairly dry in comparison to the south.
  8. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Here is a little washing machine story.

When I bought the boat the washing machine was not working.

I tried to find a replacement online but had no luck finding one that would be an exact fit without calling a carpenter.

I also brought it to a few appliance repair shops and they would not touch it because they would be unable to find parts and it would cost more to fix than to buy a new one.

It is an off brand, Sanyo I think.

I had it in my garage for a few weeks when I had an appliance repairman at the house fixing the household washing machine.

I asked the repairman to look at my boat washing machine before I threw it out or to see if he wanted it for parts.

The repairmen squirted some WD40 in the water pump and freed the stuck impeller, and the machine has been running for a few years now.

I remember the appliance guy telling me that you must use these machines occasionally or the pumps will freeze up and machine wont work.

btw, no charge for the WD40 fix.
  9. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    Sure, when live on board for some weeks or months I would like to have one, but for less than a week, I take some spare shorts and tshirts with me!
  10. kubu

kubu Member

Curious if anyone has every tried the combo unit that is a washer and dryer all in one?
  11. NewSouthSailor

NewSouthSailor New Member

Not on our boat, but at home we use a combined washer dryer from LG in a small apartment . Works well but whenever you have enough space separate washer and dryer of course is preferable. But for a small(er) boat I wouldn't mind a combined unit. We use the washer and dryer on average for a load per day when on our 64' Hatt. Mainly (beach) towels, linens and now and then some clothes if we stay longer than let's say 10 days.

On the boat we have a 'piggyback' and its results are 'ok' at best. It doesn't take care well of the lint. On a 'new' boat I'd definitely want to have separate front loading washer and dryer of a good brand. E.g. Miele or Bosch.
  12. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Post made that insert so the tub stays stable in heavy seas. You didn't provide a picture of it but if it's like mine you'll need to push down to release the slides that go under the lip of the washer. My slides are kept extended by a spacer that drops in between them. Remove the spacer and the slides will pull toward one another. That's how mine works.
  13. Dave Stranks

Dave Stranks Member

I use the washing machine all the time especially when I worked on the boat on weekends
    On the previous boat we had an all in one of the European style
    high high speed spin and condenser that removed water and dumped over the side in the drying cycle It was sort of a pain -- slow but it worked
    Now we have separate washer and dryer which we just upgraded to high efficiency units.
    They are the best thing I have ever used; plan to get for home now
    "Can not use them when under way" PS look for a low foaming marine laundry detergent before you use at your favorite moorage or bay (I used Tide once BUBBLE CITY when tied up at the dock got a lot of ugly looks)
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's soap and water:confused:. That's the same thing that goes in the water when you shower, wash dishes or wash the boat. High suds or low it's still just soap and water. Some people have too few things to worry about.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

NON HE soap in a front loader will ruin the bearing in it. Non HE soap is low suds.

Those European all in one washer/dryer are horrible. You fit 4 t-shirts in them and they take 4 1/2hrs......
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The EPA might have a slightly different view of that statement Ed.

There are many places in the world that are zero discharge. I am sure you will be encountering some on your big voyage so you might not be able to pump out your waste water as you feel like everywhere you go.
  17. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Senior Member

Thanks guys... I have the same unit that JRP has... for the life of me, I wasn't able to take that **** tub out. I felt like a chimpanzee trying to use a computer. Im going back down to FL in two weeks and that, along with a fresh water leak that I can't find, are on the list of items to solve.

I don't think that I will use the washer often, but it will come in handy when we are out and about for a few days at a time, or in a marina without facilities. I usually have a pile of small towels that we use periodically during the day while fishing, and it will be great to keep them clean.
  18. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

So where in the world is gray water illegal to discharge?

There are no EPA restrictions on discharging laundry rinse using any currently available commercial laundry soap.

We used the washer dryer a lot as full time live aboards. Stacked compact Maytags, very nice units. The dryer is 240v and vents to the exterior of the boat. Units are over 7 years old, 5 1/2 of those FT use.

Also, a full size dishwasher, by the way.
  19. Dave Stranks

Dave Stranks Member

Its the perception.
    no bubbles, no smells, no noise,
    "No problem"; and the bigger or fancier the boat, the more you have everyone watching.

Why not be "smart" and not give the idiots the ammunition.
    It took me a little work tracking this Special Marine laundry stuff down but I never have to look over my shoulder.
    I new a guy that was rinsing his boat off and a passing kayaker complained about the city water having chlorine in it and he was killing the fish.
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Did you catch that I'm from NY? That should answer your "why". I'd have turned the hose on that kayaker, and maybe dumped the bucket on him.:cool::D
    To me "PC" stands for punk conduct. I don't track down "Special Marine laundry stuff" I use TIDE and get clean clothes.