Click for Furuno Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander Click for JetForums Click for Abeking

Upgrading Bose 38 Lifestyle system

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by PSW, Feb 20, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PSW

PSW Member

Over the past year I have grown tired of dealing with the antiquated technology that is the Bose Lifestyle 38 system. Tonight the dvd video out quit displaying on the tv yet the sound coming from the dvd is working fine. I am happy with the sound quality but want something that used modern component or hdmi playback quality along with ability to play bluray movies. I primarily use sat tv and listen to some Bluetooth music via the bose. I don't watch movies often but I want to know it works. I would prefer to just update the head unit and use existing speakers but am not seeing how that is possible. Bose has really done a poor job of evolving over the past decade.

What have others done when updating their interior audio/video system. I am just starting a exterior JL Audio system with cockpit and bridge zones and that project had me looking at the interior set up and am scratching my head at what is the best path forward or the interior.

Thanks for the feedback.
  2. PSW

PSW Member

Ordered a Maxell optical cleaning disc. Then if dvd works again I will ad a VS-2 Bose enhancer to improve video quality. At that point if those adjustments work I will leave the Bose alone and start making holes on the outside for some JL speakers. Should be another fun winter project. Doing little things now to keep boat intact as I plan to go salmon fishing soon and don't want to start really getting into full install until after.
  3. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

There really isn't much that can do what the Bose Lifestyle can do, in terms of a compact surface mount installation with good surround sound. I've installed a few of those, but always looked for alternatives just to keep up to date. I've installed the Fusion line of gear, and it seems to be the best for outdoors and such, as well as being somewhat expandable. As much as I think Bose is over-hyped and over priced, it really is the best solution. In your case, I would get another control console for $285 if you can't fix what you have, or get a good Blu-Ray player and go direct to the TV and port out the sound to the working Bose. Just bypass the Bose for video switching and let it do what it does best; pump out acceptable sound. Maybe get a Bose zone amplifier for the cockpit and an RF remote to make that area happen. Having a mix of systems all over the boat is an ugly solution, in reality. If it's all Bose, you won't have the key-stroke logic mix from different manufacturers, at least. A basket full of remotes is a real pain, and "universal remote" is an oxymoron.
    Re-inventing that wheel won't leave it any rounder, I'm afraid. As the engineers I worked with were fond of saying: "Design is a compromise". Very droll, the Swedes.
  4. PSW

PSW Member

Lifestyle 38 is back up and running smoothly. Salon and forward stateroom with remote speakers and amp will be running for a few more seasons as I can't see any other better options at this time. Exterior JL upgrade is underway and being worked on as time allows.