Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Mulder

Unexpected issues for a new live aboard?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by btyson, Aug 22, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. btyson

btyson Member

I am new to this fascinating site and cant believe the wealth of information available. Thanks to everyone who contributes! My Question is to those who recall their first year(s) in yachting:
    What were the unexpected issues that were encountered when you initially started yachting?
    We live in the U.S. Midwest and have owned many small boats with our current boat a 27' Cobalt bowrider. Soon the kids will move on to college and we are seriously considering selling the home and (at least for a couple of years) living aboard a small yacht, probably in the Southeast US. A decade ago we owned a Searay 390 EC. that we kept on a lake. The thought of actually living day to day on THAT boat is somewhat daunting. Our budget for this endeavor will likely be less than $500k. What are the "surprises" that you have encountered?

Thanks!
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The budget sounds on target for something in the 50' range. As I won't own a boat:rolleyes: I'll give you some of the biggies others have encountered starting with 1) forgetting to turn off the dockside water when leaving the boat. High pressure from the dock pops an interior line or coupling and it's straight to the bottom, and maybe a water bill from the marina. 2) tying the lines too tight to allow for the tide drop. 3) putting a fender in place where it blocks your a/c outflow. 4) dead batteries, 5) bugs and rats, 6) limited hot water, 7) neighbors banging into you, 8) lonliness. Mid-week or off season marinas are pretty quiet, especially at night, 9) the clang of sailboat rigging, 10) boredom (Try to budget at least one trip a month so you don't become a dock queen), 11) lack of storage space and the expense of buying in small quantities. 12) having your neighbors hear your fights and you theirs.
    Since you'll be staying in the southwest we won't go into the real fun surprises that come with cold weather.
    On the up side there is nothing like waking up to sunrise on the water or having dinner with the sunset and going to sleep to the gentle rocking, having an otter stop to rest on your swim platform and fishing for dinner out your back door. You're right to look on it as an adventure for a couple of years. It's a lot like apartment living; just a little more inconvenient (laundromats, going for the mail, parking, etc.). Just don't become a dock rat (forget to shave or shower, wearing your clothes that extra day, your evening beer comes at 11AM. That's advice for he and she.) Good luck.
  3. btyson

btyson Member

Thanks NYCAP123 !
    I appreciate you taking the time to reply. This is just the type of information I was looking for.
    Best regards!
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Ed, Where did you get the idea he would be staying in the SW he said in the opening post that he was looking at the SE US.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Right you are. South East. Still warm though.
  6. btyson

btyson Member

Thanks, Brian. Great thread.

Another couple of questions for all: As everyone has their preferences in boats; what about Marinas? Southeast? Gulf Coast? Bahamas? If you pay a premium price for a dock what are you buying?
    How successful have you been in meeting other live-aboards that you enjoy cruising with? Is there the "kindred spirit" thing going on? I'm surprised at the number of posts that mention "loneliness as a downside..that really surprises me. My wife and I both have careers so our social life currently revolves around our teenage kids parents. We enjoy people but turn down many invitations just to chill at home. That said; I cant see us sitting in our boat starring at each other for weeks on end either. Thoughts?
  7. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

I'm not sure if loneliness is a big factor, as you can opt to become the "mayor" of the marina if you like (usually the most social person around).
    I think you really need to consider if you'll be taking your home on the road. Folks who live aboard and don't move the vessel may setup home with more items that are not secured down. But if you will be tossing the lines and cruising, then don't fill the boat with extras (i.e. vases, knick-knacks, top-heavy items, etc). Otherwise you'll be spending a lot of time securing them before a trip and bringing them out to reset your home. Many large yachts that have beautiful china, glasware, art, etc have to pack them away for long trips.
    Oh yeah, if you are a pack-rat on land, it won't work on a boat. Consider a storage facility for those items you don't want to or can't bring along.
    Enjoy your new phase of life.

PS I have two just starting college, and can't afford to follow the boating dream just yet, so I'll live vicariously through yours.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Whether you choose the SE, Gulf or Bahamas is really a matter of personal choice although I see the Bahamas as more a place to cruise to than live in. I'd recommend taking 2 or 3 weeks for a 'drive through' starting say in Charleston, work your way south through Florida's east coast then up the west coast. Look for that feeling of 'this is my sort of place'. Finish off your trip by going back to that or those places for a few days, check the marinas and the area more in depth.
    To quote the Mchamburlar man: "Location, location, location."
    After 21 years in this business I've found that most boaters prefer to cruise alone although the few I've found who cruise with other boats tend to have more fun.
    I don't necessarily recommend becoming 'the mayor' in a marina. That post tends to get filled by someone who drinks and parties to much for his own good (See: dock rat).
    To me the ideal live-aboard life is wonderlust. Spending from 1 to 3 months in a location and moving on, seeing the sights and meeting the people. Then, after a few years, picking one of those spots that I really enjoyed, trading the big boat for a smaller one and settling down there.
  9. Steve in SoCal

Steve in SoCal Member

I also have aspirations to "live aboard" for a while. I equate it in many ways to RV living, in fact I have been considering that as well. To me the essence of living on a boat is the exploring the world at your pace. I am on the west coast and I could spend years just going from Cabo to Alaska. On the east coast perhaps a boat capable of doing the great loop of America.

One thing I want to do is either retain a small homestead somewhere or have a small shop/storage building. I expect at some point you want to come ashore and if you lose the foothold of property ownership it is much harder to start over. I myself have quite a bit of machinery that I don't intend to sell and several large items I just can't part with.

If you want to move to a particular location and stay there living on a boat, I would think about buying a small condo or house and a day boat. You would have the best of both worlds, anything shy of 70~80' is going to seem small and storage challenged for full time living. IMHO.

Steve
  10. btyson

btyson Member

Steve,
    I'm thinking about that as well. However, the point about living somewhere for 1-3 months then leaving for another port;and so on has its merits and would make for a true adventure, at least for a year or so.
  11. Steve in SoCal

Steve in SoCal Member

I think a flexible time frame of say a year to three or five is likely a good idea. Yes you may fall in love with cruising and decide to stay on a while longer if so great. However we can't foretell something like a medical issue or just a desire to be near family and old friends. Making a total commitment to a lifestyle that is at this point is merely a dream is a big leap of faith; having a fall back position relieves a lot of stress and, gives you the option to say its not for me or my significant other. Everyone is different, you may love it and your SO may hate it.

Living in a confined space with somebody 24-7 is a real challenge even if you have the best of relations, everyone needs their own space.

The one other big unknown or unanswered is living away from the mainstream population is logistics. How do you provision and get around in port? You can carry bikes or scooters but they limit your cargo carrying and are not fun in the rain or cold weather. On a boat you are more limited, I know several people with RV's that either tow a car or carry one on the truck, mostly Smart Cars. This is one of my biggest conundrums about a boat. Yes you can hire a taxi, rent a car or, ride a bus but, if you make land fall in a small town late on a weekend it is not so easy to get around without your own ride. This is perhaps the one thing that I rarely see mentioned regarding living aboard an traveling. If you live aboard in a marina you have a car in the parking lot, it is rather hard to tow the car behind the boat.

With all that said, having a once in a lifetime experience like seeing the sights from your boat are, IMHO priceless.

Steve
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

No car is a BIG inconvenience, but that is the situation unless you can have one follow you. At that point though you're in big yacht territory (crew). Taxi and bike are how you get around. That's not as bad as it sounds though when you consider you'll probably only need the car a few days each month. Also, many marinas will have a courtesy car available for transients so they can go reprovision.
  13. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

We have lived aboard for over eight years and won't consider another life style. I do recommend you plan carefully and take into account the fact of limited space aboard. If one thing comes on board something else has to go off, only way to keep your sanity.

We go out at least once a month all year round, winter mostly to empty the tank. But while doing that we will take a run for a hour or two up the bay. I see a lot of dock queens that aren't liveaboards. I have been at this marine for three years, still work, and there are four boats at my dock alone that have never been out of their slips. I don't know why people buy a boat and don't use it. One of them brags his engines have less than 200 hours on them and the boat is over 20 years old. I'd be suspicious of anything like that when you are looking. Remember things can go bad from none use as well as abusive usage. I think none use of a boat is abuse.

You were warned about loneliness in the off months, I have never had a weekend when someone didn’t come down to their boat and stop by to say hello. I have lived in a townhouse on Capital Hill in DC that was lonelier than here at the marina, even if people were out they didn’t talk to you. Yes you will have a lack of privacy in some ways and in other ways you will balance that out.

There is nothing like getting up in the morning, getting your coffee and sitting on the deck watching the sun come up over the bay. I live out on the boat so I can see the bay and have the wave motion, which is another thing you want to consider wave motion. I know people that live in coves with no wave motion because they don’t like it, then why live on a boat.

You have to be ready to watch the weather with an eagle eye. The approach of a hurricane or even a tropical storm becomes a major matter of concern for you and you have major decision to make. Since you can’t ride out a hurricane at the dock you have to decide to pull the boat or find a good hurricane hole to ride it out. If you decide to try the ride it out method do your homework to find out how to tie the boat and where a good location is close to you. Plan accordingly you don’t want to wind up trapped by closed bridges because you waited to long and they locked the bridges down to evacuate people. I’ve ridden out many tropical storms but don’t think I’d try a hurricane unless given no choice. I can replace the boat but not me or any member of my family.

You’ll want a boat with plenty of living space, we are on a 48-foot boat but have a living salon, a dining salon, galley, two staterooms, and two heads. We have a stackable washer and dryer aboard; apartment size but it handles all our laundry. If you are married I’d definitely recommend you look for something you can have laundry facilities, our old boat didn’t and the admiral was never happy about that.

There are numerous things to consider and I’d recommend you visit some of the liveaboard sites to get some more insight.

It is not the lifestyle for most people but for those of us with a few screws loose internally it is wonderful. I’d recommend it to anyone, for the RV ideal we have friends that do that and they are very happy. Of course with their popouts and everything they have as much room as some apartments.

If you want you can send me a private message and I’ll be glad to answer your questions.
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i've been living aboard for 5 years now and i can't say that any of the NYCAP 12 points ring a bell to me. i guess when you dont' own a boat and dont' live aboard one, you know better :)

bottom line, it all comes down to picking the right boat, the right marina in the right location. maybe i'm lucky...

considering the boat market right now, 500k is far more than you need...

the one thing i do agree with is taking the boat out often. We rarely spend more than 2 weeks in the slip... to me, the appeal of living aboard is being on the water and being able to leave the slip on a moment's notice. that' sthe whole point. teh boat has to be ready, it takes us 5 mintues to get underway. otherwise you may as well live ashore...

tehre is nothing like being able to leave the slip on a moments notice, just becauyse it's a nice evening...

real issues? not too many if you pick the right marina and the right boat. My only regret is not having done it earlier.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Pascal, any time you want to match logs for days actually spent working on the water or managing marinas let me know. Anybody who has been in this business for more than a few years has seen every one of those 12 points. In fact, I believe hat4349 referenced 4 or 5 of those situations himself. So I think your bell may need a new clanger.:rolleyes:
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

1) forgetting to turn off the dockside water when leaving the boat. High pressure from the dock pops an interior line or coupling and it's straight to the bottom, and maybe a water bill from the marina. 2) tying the lines too tight to allow for the tide drop. 3) putting a fender in place where it blocks your a/c outflow. 4) dead batteries, 5) bugs and rats, 6) limited hot water, 7) neighbors banging into you, 8) lonliness. Mid-week or off season marinas are pretty quiet, especially at night, 9) the clang of sailboat rigging, 10) boredom (Try to budget at least one trip a month so you don't become a dock queen), 11) lack of storage space and the expense of buying in small quantities. 12) having your neighbors hear your fights and you theirs.
    ----------------

ok, so you're looking at it from a paid captain perspective, not an owner who live aboard.

if you were you...

1)- woudl know that running off the onboard pumps and tanks are the only way to go at the dock... not only do you avoid the risk of a leak but you also keep your water tank refreshed...

2)- tying the lines too tight? give me a break, this is a newbie mistake, plain stupid. has nothing to do with living aboard.

3)- fender on the AC discharge? again stupid new owner mistake... nothing to do with living aboard

4)- dead batteries.. at the dock??? come on, that makes no sense! if you're at the dock, the charger is on...

5)- bugs and rats? I know NY rats are famous worldwide but that's plain silly. and houses dont' have bugs and rats?? keep a clean boat and you wont' have any. i dont.

6)- limited hot water? maybe on a 30 footer.. I have a large water heater on my boat, and room to add a second one if i wanted to. i never ran out of hot water.

7)- neighbors banging into you? how is that live aboard specific?

8)- loneliness? again, not a live aboard specific thing... it's true in many neighborhoods.

9)- i kind of like halyards claning of masts, reminds me that i'm on a boat because i love boats... good neighbors secure their halyards plus when you're inside, with air, you dont' hear them anyway.

10) boredom? schedule at least a trip a month... Since you've never lived aboard on your own boat, then you dont' know the pleasure of sitting on your aft deck on a nice weekday evening, wathcing the moon rise and deciding it was too nice a night not to go out and anchor to enjoy the night even more. i can give you 30 more exmaples... the live aboard tht don't live the slip are not boaters, they are usually folks who saw boats as cheap housing.

11)- lack of storage? again not on a 50+ boat... on average we get groceries every week just like as i would ashore... plenty of room. I'm not the Costco type but if i was that woudl be fine, plenty of room

12)- there aren't that many liveaboards and you are rarely surrounded by liveaboard in your slips. chances are the next boat is not a liveaboard. never had this issue of hearing others fights. privacy depends on the boat and its setup.

bottom line, it all comes down to picking the rigth boat and marina. there is living aboard and their is camping aboard. dont' confuse them
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Pascal, you may have missed the 3rd sentence of this thread:
    1) some people don't like the taste of tank water. I know that in So. Florida you need to drink bottled, but other places we actually drink tap. 2) In your area there is barely a 3' tide swing, but some place around here we have 10' and further north up to 18'. Tying too tight is an easy mistake to make, especially in your first years. I could go down the list, such as I've seen bigger rats at a pair of prominent Ft. Lauderdale marinas than I ever saw in the so. Bronx, but you get the drift. btyson was looking to learn from what we've seen and done. Personally, I'm still searching for perfection and it seems a long way off. Glad you made it though.
  18. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Hate to say it but does the OP want to go cruising or just want a floating RV?

How much are they willing to get about? The SW is quite a large area and with just a little more effort you're into Central America and Mexico, fantastic
    cruising.

Again, floating RV or a bit of ambition?
  19. btyson

btyson Member

Great stuff! The more information I gleen from folks such as yourselves the better experence my wife and I will have during those important early months and years. Like most ventures; its all about expectations. As to the question of what we intend to do: I dont know exactly. I forsee us choosing a marina in the S.E. US to dock and do day trips for several months to aclimate ourselves to our new lifestyle, moving on to another marina for perhaps a month, then another and so on for a year before we venture too far from land. Once I feel comfortable with my sea keeping abilities and perhaps a Captains course or two; we may venture further offshore, Bahamas or Cuba if it ever opens up.

Please keep the opinions & advice comming!