Click for Mag Bay Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

Underwater LED's

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Yachtguymke, Jan 10, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

Thinking about having some underwater lights installed in the transom while we are laid up for the next couple of weeks. I have been looking at the Ocean LED series of lights and it seems like there are a "few" to choose from. Although I think the thru-hull ones are the best option, does anyone having any experience with the Amphibian series? It looks as if a hole just need to go through for a wire instead of a bigger hole for the housing as well. I need to order these soon so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. They would be going in the transom of an Ocean 48 SS.
  2. SFS

SFS Senior Member

There have been a couple of threads on this topic in the past year or so. Don't have time to look right now, but a search may be productive. I seem to recall both of the brands you mention being discussed.
  3. Yachtguymke

I searched but came up short.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Ocean have a good reputation. I have installed 5 lumitec seablazeX on the boat I run which are very nice.

I prefer flush mount and even better with the wire going thru the hull above water line, just running up from the fixture.

The fewer the holes, the better
  5. SFS

SFS Senior Member

6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I installed some Abyss surface mount 3 of them. They illuminated amazing and I don't know if I'd go thru-hull on the transom ones again except possibly on a SF. Someone on here had an issue with them, so far these are going on 2 years and have not had an issue.

Ocean has been there since the beginning and make good lights.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

That was me... Multiple issues after 1 to 2 years initially they said they had a bad batch but the tell event failed just as quick. That s when I switched to lumitec
  8. Yachtguymke

The Pro 16 Amphibian's from Ocean look to be the best option from everything I have looked at not going through the hull. The wire through would probably be the best option? Now it boils down to how many I need. Two? Three? Four? Price starts to accelerate rapidly..
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What size boat and how wide is your transom? We went with 3 on a 58' Azimut and in Exumas,Bahamas water it illuminated exceptionally well, 75'+ out the back, 40' wide and all of the way to the bottom in 10' of water
  10. Yachtguymke

Ocean 48 Super Sport. I am going with three.
  11. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I didn't reinstall Ocean LED out the back during my latest haulout last May because of the five lights, two of them failed. They were less than three years in the water. I had planned to go with them again despite two of the A12's failing- but they no longer made A12- so I had to go with A8 or A16. The A8 mounting template holes were just a fraction different than the A12, so I could not mount them properly, and I did not want to go with the A16. (I was miffed- why didn't they think of people changing to newer lights and placing the holes exactly the same or quite different? Bad engineering IMHO) I did go with smaller Ocean LED's (A4- replacing A6) pointed down, and am hoping they will not fail. Two other boats at my marina also had Ocean LED's fail. I went with the Lumitec sea-blaze out the back. They draw more power, but it's still very low.

Three Pro A16 on the back of a 48 footer is overkill. Two is enough. I put my two smaller one's pointed down behind intake scoops so they are protected. You can see the mounting install in my thread here; http://www.yachtforums.com/index.php?threads/the-sea-deuce-65-donzi-hull-4.10464/page-4
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  12. water-baby

water-baby Member

Bamboo

What model seablaze did you go with? How many?
  13. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

^^^^^^^^^^^ SeaBlaze X , three with the bronze bezel. They are a bit more blue than the Ocean LED's- so it's kinda neat that I have blue out the back and the ones pointed down look a bit more purple-ish blue.
  14. Scallywag

Scallywag Member

Just installed 4 Ocean LED A16 Amphibian Pro "Colours". Brightness is excellent, installation was simple (one tiny 1/2 inch hole on each fixture), and the ability to change colors is very cool.

I'm not a huge fan of UW lights while running, but...
  15. Scallywag

Scallywag Member