Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for MotorCheck Click for Glendinning Click for Westport

UMT davit question

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Trinimax, Oct 6, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

I have a quick question about my UMT Econo davit. The winch motor seems to have burnt out. I am trying to figure out how to remove it for repair/ replacement. The issue is I do not have any manual or technical information for it, and I was unable to find it online. Does anybody have any experience with this type of winch ?

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Prospective

Prospective Senior Member

UMT is still around. If nobody here can help then give them a shout. I spoke to a rep at the Ft. Lauderdale boat show last year where they had a display, he at least, was very helpful. Of course, if you tired of it, feel free to ship it to me. I'm sure I could get it working on my 43' ;)
  3. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I have a similar until Davit. I have replaced the electric winch. I think the info is on the boat but let me poke around and see if I can find it. Umt will sell you one
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Winch or linear ram?
    Either way, have you checked all fuses and solenoids?
  5. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

thanks for that I would really appreciate that
  6. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

Hi Rcraps. the last time I ran the winch, it was making noise and was smoking. I just about got the dingy onboard before the breaker tripped. I hope I did not cause too much damage. The fun part is getting winch out from the davit to repair it I hope
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If it is a winch and cable spool, I have witnessed the spool deform and bind in it's assembly (on other brands).
    Either way, you have to access it.
    I am not familiar with an Econo Davit. Almost sounds like suspect in it's name.
  8. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I looked here at
    I found some paperwork on the electric winch motor. The winch was manufactured by Dutton-Lainson Company out of Hastings, NE. Their number is/was 402 462 4141. I don’t have a model number but they refer to it as a Strong Arm electric winch. My Davit was rated for 1500 lbs. Also I wrote down SA 5000 AC 1200 lbs. Don’t know if that is the model number or not. The AC is for alternating current. I don’t know if yours is DC or not.
  9. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

Hi motoryacht lover. thanks for the response, I really appreciate it. I think your website link must have got deleted. Could you send it to me in a PM I believe we may have the same winch. I do know for sure that my winch is AC current. I could hear the generator bogging down when I was last using it. i am going to attempt to take the arm off today to access the motor. so fingers crossed
  10. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

Hi rcrapps, dont worry the system is made by UMT, I believe the econo part is with regards to the arm having to be raised and swung out manually. no electric function for that one. So a bit more difficult, but then again it is mechanically simlpler
  11. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I called UMT and with some measurements and details from my old unit, we were able to determine what model winch I had. The technician there was very helpful with emailing me the drawings to confirm that I was ordering the correct parts. Luckily I had friend from home making a trip to Ft Lauderdale and they were able to swing by UMT's office and pick up the winch and motor assembly for me. My old man and myself spent the better part of a Saturday morning removing the old winch and motor setup and reinstalling the new one. Everything works so far. just need to try it with the weight of the dingy now

Attached Files: