Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Burger

Twin bed conversion

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by aircar, Feb 6, 2009.

1. aircar

aircar New Member

How difficult is it to convert the twin bed configuration on a 58 Yachtfish to a double bed?
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Have you looked for any mechanicals under the bunks? If none it's just a carpentry issue and should be no problem. A lot of these boats were used for charter and may even be set up for simple conversion.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

in the master? shoulnd't be too difficult. I dont' think there are any tanks under the berth. not sure if you have room to put the queen on centerline or if you have to put it amidship. The ony difficulty is to be able to match the wood... my 53 was converted from the 2 twins, you're can't see that it was.

you shoudl ask on hatterasowners.com, this has been done before and comes up every once in a while
  4. aircar

aircar New Member

Sorry I wasn't more specific. The twin beds are in the guest cabin forward of the master. Thanks for your responses.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's do-able but you have to use the imboard bed and work out from there with the walkway on the outside towards the hull of the boat. One of the water tanks is located underneath the inboard bed in the middle stateroom and comes up almost to height of the mattress on the 58' Yachtfish and is gravity fed by the stern mounted water tank, so that it is always full and doesn't start emptying until after the stern water tank is empty. Anyways, you don't want to move the fiberglass built in water tank.
  6. aircar

aircar New Member

Thanks for the response and the very specific information about the water tank under the inboard bed. I have read on the Hatteras owners' site that the port engine exhaust hose is under the outboard bed. Is this true? Is there a work-around?
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That is true, but it is a fiberglass tube on that boat. and runs right against the inside of the hull. However you could make a bed from wall to wall if you don't mind getting in at the foot of the bed. Or you could still make a full size bed with the walkway on the hullside, maybe an even step up floor that covers the exhaust.