Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Westport

Turn off water to front bathroom

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by drcrunk, Mar 12, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. drcrunk

drcrunk New Member

Hi all,

I know this is probably a stupid question but I have a leak that needs to be fixed in my 1985 Carver 3607. The front bathroom somewhere is leaking into the floor.

What happened is that when I bought the boat the water to the front bathroom was turned off. I had a guy come down that said he turned something on in the engine compartment to cause the water to work there. After that there is a leak in the front bathroom. I need to turn the water back off but have no clue what he turned on. In front of the port side engine is a switch that comes up into what looks like a filter but I don't think that is it.

I hope I am explaining this ok, I really don't know the names of things so if you answer please be as descriptive as possible in providing instructions. Thank you all for your help and time.
  2. mapism

mapism Senior Member

The question is not stupid, but I don't think it's easy to answer it, also for anyone who knows the boat model.
    Wouldn't it be simpler to ask the chap you had onboard what did he do?

Actually, I'd guess that he opened a valve rather than turn a switch on, because any electrical switch is likely to control the pump, and I don't think you have more than one, considering the boat size.
    So, if previously you had water elsewhere and no leak from the front bathroom, more than likely you had a valve closed along the pipe feeding the bathroom, and the leak started after that guy opened it.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Usually water pipes run along the hull sides. Start looking on the side the head is located. Also, find the water pump and trace from there
  4. drcrunk

drcrunk New Member

You are right it is a valve. He said it was in the engine compartment I think on the port side. I did look but didn’t see it. I just don’t know what I am looking for. Before he opened it there was no leak. He called it something specific. I don’t think it is strainer. I appreciate your kind response
  5. drcrunk

drcrunk New Member

I did that. I just don’t know exactly what I am looking for. There is a hose that pulls water from underneath the boat but I don’t think that is it. It is open. The hose comes in and goes into a canister looking thing then T’s and goes forward and backwards.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I hate to say this but if you don’t know the difference between a valve to shut down fresh water and a seawater thru hull... you need to hire someone to teach you about boat systems.

a fresh water leak from your forward head is no big deal but if a raw water hose pops a leak you need to know how to how to stop it
  7. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I don't think either.
    The strainer is the canister shape thing that you found along the hull intake pipe, and is meant to filter garbage that might be sucked together with the sea water. You don't have anything like that in the fresh water circuit.
    Did he possibly mention an electrical pump, or an accumulator tank, or a heater?
    Those are the bits of kit normally installed in the fresh water circuit.

Regardless, for opening/closing hydraulic lines, there must be valves, possibly attached to any of these components.
    So, in principle you should look for a valve similar to the one which you found attached to the thru-hull intake - just smaller, more than likely.
    They are called "ball valves", and they come in several different materials (hence colors) and sizes.
    Besides, they can either be made with a lever or a T-handle, mostly depending on the valve size.
    If you take some pics of the e/r and post them, it might be easier to give you some more specific suggestion.

But beware of one thing, in the meantime:
    when Pascal said that a fresh water leak is no big deal, he was assuming that you are using the onboard fresh water tank.
    If so, in the worst case the leak could fill the boat bottom with as much fresh water as there is in the tank - very annoying, but not catastrophic.
    On the other hand, if by chance you are using fresh water onboard through a direct dock connection, then you have an unlimited fresh water supply, so a leak anywhere in the circuit can in the worst case sink the boat at the dock, if the bilge pump doesn't work or can't keep up with the flow.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  8. drcrunk

drcrunk New Member

I know how to stop the leak I just don’t know where the valve is to turn off the water so I can work on it. Sorry for posting such a stupid question here. I know it seems obvious to you but the valve is not shown in the owners manual. I have reas it cover to cover.
  9. drcrunk

drcrunk New Member

Thank you, that really helps a lot and I am glad I didn't turn off the valve I found. The one I am looking for must be higher up or something. I will look again. You have also given me to some extent what exactly I am looking for. Your comments helped a lot. I wish Carver had put better diagrams of the water system in the manual but they didn't.

I will attempt to get some pictures later today and post what I have. It will be pretty random since I don't know what I am taking pictures of though. I am also going to stop again and talk to the guy that turned on the valve. The reason I didn't get him to turn it off is that 1) he charges $130 to do it, and 2) it doesn't really help me since I have to work on the leak and need to be able to turn it on and off.

Lastly, the water supply is from dockside so endless amount of water. To compound this, the forward bilge pump is not working right now. I am fixing that this weekend.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

You should really avoid connecting to shore water unless you are on board and turn it off when you leave. Personally I have never connected any boat to shore water. Also, using tank water ensures the water stays fresh. In most places city water contain chlorine which helps clean your tanks

small boat builders have a bad habit of installing undersized pumps. Don’t count on a 1200GHP pump to be able to keep up with a shore water leak or anything more than a trickle
  11. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Happy to have helped.
    Just a couple of further comments:
    Actually, there's nothing wrong in closing sea water intakes when not used.
    The one you found must be either for a main engine or a genset cooling, so whenever you are not running them, keeping the respective sea water intakes closed is not a bad habit.
    But only as long as you remember to open them again before turning the engine or genset on, otherwise you would damage them.
    Or even set the boat on fire eventually, in the worst case!

Wow. Shame that we are literally an ocean apart, I would have been happy to have a look for a beer...! :D

PS: ref. shore water connection, personally I'm not as concerned as Pascal is.
    In fact, I live aboard for 6+ months/year, and that's what I use 90% of the time.
    But I also can count on a 200 psi tested fresh water circuit, multiple w/tight compartments, adequate and redundant pumps in each of them, alarms, etc.
    If you are unsure of how reliable your system is, you'd better be a bit careful.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Dozens of boats sink or are badly flooded every year by shore water. Indeed it s not much of a concern on a fairly new and larger boat with good plumbing but I woudl never connect a 35 year old carver. And who knows what previous owners have butchered. When I bought my boat years ago, the solid copper plumbing was excellent except for a hose clamped on copper some genius had used for an aft deck wet bar. Popped out soon after I upgraded the fresh water pump, luckily it was outside ...