Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Westport

Turbo exhaust leak

Discussion in 'Engines' started by C4ENG, Mar 11, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Imagine this..3512 CAT's,,small exhaust leak on turbo's where it is conected to the exhaust manifold.
    What's the worst that can happen if you do not correct the situation imediately?
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"What's the worst that can happen if you do not correct the situation imediately?"

The owner won't be able to find a replacement engineer?
  3. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

That's funny!
  4. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Depending on the size of hole / crack, location, stress in the area, etc. etc. it can be a slight annoyance for the (very few) hours that it runs until she sees the yard.... or... conversely, it's a completely new turbo. (versus a repair / replacement of a housing for example)
  5. JAG1

JAG1 New Member

Don't know if I'm preaching to the choir but this is a known problem on that model. Earlier units suffered from an overstressed connection to the manifold that would occasionally fail catastrophically - which is no doubt lots of fun to sort out. Even new units seem to have problems in this area - last 6 units I've dealt with have had to be modified by the dealer, in one case the boat was reduced to one engine for a few days on passage.
  6. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

I have been called to a number of boats where there are gasket leaks. One question I ask is if the there is a backpressure issue. In some cases, this is the cause of why gaskets may fail prematurely. Of course, each situation will be unique. Just something to think about.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

A few years ago I moved a 60 Sunseeker NY-Fla (6 day trip). Upon boarding I noticed the telltale exhaust marks in that spot, but the owner wanted to go. We spent 5 days in Charlestown waiting for parts after losing both engines to clogged air filters. It was a great paid vacation for me and a lesson that owner won't forget. Of course we spent much of that time cleaning the engineroom.
  8. Ingered

Ingered New Member

Exhaust leak T/C

This would not repair by it self! Action requiered! New gaskets or else You
    may have an engine room fire in worst case as You asked for.

Engine room fire detectors whill be activated any time, as well as flame detectors and could result a automatic fire exstinguise release i.e. high fog, co2 or foam depending on equipment.

This is not anything to wait until next yard visit, this have too be dealt whith now!

Your engine room will be full off soot particles and canĀ“t hide away, take You weeks to remove if You continue running.

Lack of power will soon show up as well!

Renew insulation around mentioned exhaust pipe cost your owner some "dineros" if that is ruined.

When You have your next inspection from surveyors they whil give a notification into class company if found!

This would only take You a few hours too repair, if any nuts or bolts are missing be shure too use original spares and not from Your common bolt store.

regards

Roland Ingered
    Chief/2nd engineer
  9. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut New Member

There will be soot everwhere in the engine room. It is not a big issue to repair for a qualified shop.
  10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Lug-nut,
    We just did one last week. Cat 3208 blow soot and crud out of the turbo. The motors were running Walker Air-Sep filters and breathers. We tried cleaning the filters but once they ingest sooty deposits you have to just junk them.

Luckily I had a new pair of Air-Seps in stock (there is no UK importer, DOH). So a good engine room clean-up and power was back to normal, its amazing how some carbon knocks the power back

Dave
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The whole 3500 series (including the new series 2 engines)have always been affected by exhaust leaks, the normal place is between the turbo outlet and the pot in the middle where the exhaust is combined into one pipe for delivery to the silencer.

Fish- You can see all about the AIRSEP Agents on Page 21 of this:

http://www.globalservicesltd.co.uk/Uploads/assets/engineering.pdf

These are great guys and are always reliable in their supply and support.
  12. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Air-Sep

Thanks K1W1,

I too tried globalservice first and the cute girl on the phone had the same problems as we did getting hold of parts for Air-Seps.

I use a guy called Jeff Coopee at allsourceexport.com who I used to work with in Antigua. His company is based in Fort Laudedale and normally gets my US parts for me.

If anyone needs euro engine parts from Volvo/Nanni/Lombardini/Scania/Perkins/Sabre I keep 25,000 parts in stock here in Guernsey UK which is tax-free. We also keep classic threads of nuts and bolts still in WW1 ammo boxes (very old shipyard). You can email me on dave.h@mge.gg.

Cheers

Fish