Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for Furuno

Trolling motors for docking?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by kmcormick9, Jun 19, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. kmcormick9

kmcormick9 New Member

Hey guys, Im new to the whole yachting community as I am about to purchase either a 36' Chris Craft or a 33' Trojan. Currently I am used to operating a 18' Wellcraft off a trailer and am not proficient in docking a boat alone, as I will often be on whichever boat I purchase. Since the slip I have rented anticipating the purchase is in a fairly difficult section of the marina and due to my inexperience in operating something this large, I have considered the purchase of a trolling motor to mount on the swim platform so that I can slowly maneuver the boat into the slip while being near my docking lines.
    Has anybody tried this or considered it as an option for one manned docking?

I also thought it useful as a contingency motor- should both inboards fail, I can limp the boat out of a channel or to a nearby dock.
  2. Bob Scott

Bob Scott Guest

crutches are not the answer if you are not crippled. spend some time and practice. if you are that uncomfortable even practicing, then hire someone to spend a couple of days, or more, and work with you. don't try and re-invent the wheel. you will only make matters worse. also, either of the boats that you named are very managable on 1 engine. quit stressin' and start practicing! ;)
  3. firstmate_pete

firstmate_pete New Member

i agree

i agree with bob, just practice! and if u cant do it there, practice on an easier dock
  4. John B

John B Senior Member

Trolling motor makes no sense at all.

The boat size you are talking about should be no problem to handle, but as the other have posted - you need to practice.

My recommendation is to get a training captain. Especially a captain who likes to teach or has a lot of experience training people. I spent about 40 hours with one when I got my boat (I have over 20 years boating experience) and it was the best time/money I could have spent. It's a great way to get to know a new boat.

Your local boat dealers should be able to point you in the right direction.

Couple other thoughts for you - bow thrusters make docking MUCH easier and twins are MUCH easier to maneuver than a single engine. Trolling motor makes no sense - unless you're trolling.