Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for JetForums Click for Lurssen

Triton article regarding gyro ineffective at sea on big boat

Discussion in 'Stabs, Tabs & Gyros' started by 993RSR, Jun 9, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

For small boats, unknown by me where the small / large line is but it's there and it don't work on larger hulls.
    This is really nothing new. Simple physics OR simple red-neck figuring; Weight vs induced force back by emulated weight.
    When the weight of a large boat rolls, it is the dead weight of the boat PLUS the energy of the wave that pushed it over, that you have to push against just when the boat starts to roll the slightest bit (Like setting the hook on a Sheepshead just before he bites the bait). Then,, it takes even more energy (weight) to force it back and keep it static neutral. The Flywheel just does not offer the counter force (counter weight) to do this nor fast enough.
    Hope that was said well enough.
    Fins and gyro valve do with just a lil water flow, offer great leverage to fight against the wave and keep static neutral or very close3, more water over the surface of the fin, the better it works.
    I'm still not sure about zero speed fins vs the gyro. Maybe both together here would offer great relief.
  4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

K1w1 and I both worked on boats fitted and designed by Blom & Voss, made for the German Navy.

Oh Boy, they work.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Probably way past the recreational design in weight, size & budget.