Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for MotorCheck

Trinity Yacht "Lohengrin" lost to fire.

Discussion in 'Trinity Yacht' started by captholli, Nov 16, 2019.

1. captholli

captholli Senior Member

The 49.1 meter Trinity caught fire last night in Ft. Lauderdale. She was in the process of being painted and was in a scaffolded shrink wrap paint enclosure at the time of the fire.

Attached Files:

2. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Apparently, a 108 ft Christensen berthed next to Lohengrin was damaged and both vessels are a total constructive loss. As of 11;30 am this morning , fires were still burning within both vessels and firefighters are still on scene battling dangerous elements like collapsing scaffolding and chemical supplies explosions aboard from both vessels.

FIRE-UMC-cox-11-800x533.jpg
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

God bless Fire Fighters everywhere.
    I hope nobody was hurt.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

From another on-line source, 11 16 2019;

M/Y Lohengrin, a 161-foot Trinity and M/Y Reflection, a 107-foot Christensen burned in a fire that started early in the morning on Nov. 16 at Universal Marine Center in Fort Lauderdale. Both vessels were under scaffolding for repairs and refit work in the yard.

Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue received the call at 4:43 a.m. and crews responded immediately, according to Deputy Fire Chief Jeffrey A. Lucas.

“The first pictures showed the whole thing on fire,” Lucas said. “The aluminum burned at about 1,100 degrees and melted creating an umbrella that’s not allowing us to penetrate to put out the fire. We’ll continue to fight.”

Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue and fire boats joined the effort and are using both foam and water to fight the fire.

“The scaffolding is leaning and we cannot put people under there to fight this,” Lucas said. “There is no reason to risk life, the vessels are damaged.”

Wind from the west, northwest continues to push smoke toward the east where it can be seen from nearby I-95 near the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.

Universal Marine Center’s general manager Laurent Bensoussan and Bernard Calot are grateful no one was injured and said the yard had its regular fire maintenance two weeks ago.

The paint jobs where almost finished, as well as teak and interior work, according to Calot. M/Y Reflection was getting ready to leave in 10-12 days and M/Y Lohengrin was scheduled to depart in about three weeks.

Fire-fighting crews have refueled the fire trucks and are using water from the canal. They expect to be on scene for the afternoon and the cause of the fire is under investigation.

“There is still fire inside,” Lucas said about 10:30 a.m.
  6. captholli

captholli Senior Member

The remains of Lohengrin once the scaffolding and floats were removed. Aluminum is combustible and burns looking at what's left of the house & topsides.

IMG_2420.JPG
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Tears in my keyboard.
    *&^%$#%^*
  8. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

I’m guessing this yacht doesn’t have the history of The One to be restored from this state.
  9. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I know the owners of the Christensen. Very sad.

I saw the security camera footage of the start of the fire. By the time you see the fire burst/burn through the shrink wrap, it was at full boil.

Very scare stuff to watch.
  10. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

M/Y Lohengrin in better days. This was shot in early 2007 just after her launch, in Palm Beach, FL. She was one of the first yachts I shot that I was paid for . So began an illustrious career as a photo guy. So sorry to learn of the fire.

Lohengrin.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2019
  11. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

I took the tender by her a few days ago. There is puddles of (hardened) molted aluminum coming out of the scuppers. But what blew me away is the thing is still floating!
  12. classic

classic Member

I have to ask a question ! it cant be that hard to install a smoke detector and have a fire water system in the rigging going around the boat . you would think this would be standard you have the vessel covered .. ;)