Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Abeking

Trawler versus planing hull

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by sfetnerjr, Apr 22, 2011.

1. sfetnerjr

sfetnerjr New Member

Do you pay a price in ride comfort in seas if you run a planing hull at trawler like speeds to conserve fuel? There are a lot more planing hulls available than trawler type hulls, also does it hurt the deisel engines running them at the lower RPM's keeping speed and fuel consumption down?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes and no. A lot of planing hulls handle very well at displacement speeds. A few just do not. Diesels generally like to be run at cruise, however I've had very good luck running them (mechanical) at 1000 rpms or less for 4-6hr stretches and then up to cruise or even a fast cruise for a 1/2 hour, then back down to slow speed. It depends on the diesel, newer ones that are electronically controlled tend to meter the fuel better at slower speeds and run pretty clean.

A lot of yachts are stuck running slow speeds in the intracoastal for an entire day(s) and it doesn't seem to harm them. Some say it lowers the longevity, others say no, some are rated (longevity) by the amount of fuel put through them. My theory is the amount of fuel saved in a lot of boats, would pay for 3 major overhauls.
  3. sfetnerjr

sfetnerjr New Member

Thanks, that pretty much coincides with what I thought, also a lot of trawlers have stabilizers which are not present on the planing hulls. I assume the stabilizers add to much drag on the faster boats.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

they do add a little drag, but that's not reason you don't see them. A lot of the planing hulls are stable enough at cruise speed that they are not necessary.