Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Glendinning Click for Delta

Transom/Swim platform Stairs

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Phillip J, Jan 25, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Phillip J

Phillip J Member

I have a 1992 33 Aft Cabin and i am looking for a spiral stair to place on top of the swim platform to the top of the transom,. Has anyone else taken on this sort of task. I have looked at a few spiral stair distributors but nothing really impresses me.

My Best Friend- the dog, is getting older and so am I and its getting to be a pain to move him up that way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Phillip J

Phillip J Member

I did see that one after I posted, way too much craftsmanship (that I don't posses) involved in that project. I have seen fiberglass spiral stairs, I just can't find them, thought this may be a good place to start.

Thanks though!
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Contact Pipewelders (Marine Products & Towers | Fort Lauderdale, FL) or a spiral stair company. They can fabricate one of stainless that can be bolted on. Or you could pick up a movable step such as is sold through WM and affix it although that may take up more of the swim platform.
  4. Phillip J

Phillip J Member

Thanks for the info CAP, looks like a nice site, I will contact them. Appreciate it.
  5. adambomb

adambomb Member

Use a boarding ramp
  6. Phillip J

Phillip J Member

Thought about a boarding ramp AB, but it does not solve the problem when I'm anchored out in a cove swimming and he wants in. Lifting a wet stinky dog up them stairs is not too much fun...... Thanks though!
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The boarding ramp mention gave me a thought. DK the size of your dog, but if large, a spiral stair could cause a problem as the steps are narrow on one side (I've slid down the ones in my house a couple of times. Painful!) You might want to consider fabricating a platform across you aft gate that could be lowered into position so he can step out onto that, and have that attach to a set of steps similar to a tide-step so he can walk straight down. The whole setup could fold up against the wall. There are a couple of logistical problems with this idea, 1) it would take up a fair amount of your swim platform when deployed and 2) it could make normal access to the swim platform difficult, but may be worth considering. I've had two large dogs with hip dysplasia that I needed to build ramps for at my house, and I remember how unsteady they got. At one point I had to guide them up the ramps or they'd fall off even though they were wider than you could ever put on your boat. My spiral stairs were insurmountable. Food for thought.
  8. Phillip J

Phillip J Member

Thanks CAP good info, still researching ALL options.
  9. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

I'm not sure of the interior layout on that model but you might consider changing that window in the lower aft cabin to a door/hatch. It should be a watertight door with dogs and maybe a foot high step over (above the swim platform height).
  10. talexander38

talexander38 Member

how about a crane to hoist and lower the pup..there's some out there for around $350.00 that'll handle 250 lbs.
  11. rodsteel

rodsteel Member

12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Not sure where he'd find the water pressure for the spa lift. Davits are fairly expensive, require good support, and will take up some living space. Plus a dog might find it a bit traumatic being hoisted in a sling.
  13. talexander38

talexander38 Member

and a new stair/ladder to the platform is going to be cheap ? And as for the pups, my two CKCS don't like the 1st dink ride of the season...But the they realize pfd + being carried down the ladder by the handle = poop and pee run..:D
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  14. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Check this out:
    BoaterEd - DIY Swimplatform and Stairs

Maybe you can get the guy to build you some. :)
  15. Phillip J

Phillip J Member

Thanks CAPT Bill,

Saw that one and he did a beautiful job. I believe he was already asked and offered to sell his molds, I'm not that talented, I'll pay the money.

Thanks thought
  16. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

I have a guy here who will replicate the Carver staircase for about $2500
  17. MysticDolphin

MysticDolphin Member

I had this built for my dogs.. company in Texas

Attached Files:

18. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

Nice Dolphin....how much was it?

Do they make them for anybody?