Click for Cross Click for JetForums Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

Top secret speed record attempt!

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CTdave, Feb 9, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Classified information (kinda).

A particular performance boat builder is about to make a top secret, sanctioned attempt to break the world speed record for a piston driven V hull. I can't say names yet but it kinda sounds like OUTERLIMITS. It rhymes with OUTERLIMITS and it is spelled just like OUTERLIMITS. The current record is 171mph or so (by Reggie Fountain) but the mystery boat will try to top 200.

If an attempt were to happen (right before the Miami show ;) ) at a secret location (like Lake Cumberland this Saturday, weather pending...temp. humidity etc), I "guess" that the boat would be powered by twin 2000hp ponies.

As some of you might know, I used to race offshore and I can tell you, the latest speeds are pushing the dynamics of a V hull. I wish all the best for the two men who will be on board & pray for a safe run no matter what.

I will post the results right after the run.
  2. Packinair

Packinair New Member

hmmmm... road trip?
  3. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Packin
    I was thinking about it. It's just a bit far for a day trip for me plus, if the weather isn't perfect, they won't run.
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

A little over 20 years ago (I believe it was circa 1981/1982) Steve Stepp, the founder of Velocity Powerboats, was the first man to break the 100 mph barrier in a V-bottom at the annual kilo runs.

Fast forward 20 years and now we have an attempt at 200 mph? If anyone deserves this, it's the family Fiorre from Outerlimits. Paul was the first and original builder to adapt step ventilation into a Deep-V (no matter what Reggie claims!).

I'm sure they have given great consideration to the limits of stability with a Deep-V at this speed. If they haven't incorporated some form of a lateral aerodynamic stability system, they will most certainly encounter a threshold at which control becomes questionable. And without using an air entrapment hull, they must have some serious horsepower behind this effort.

If this attempt succeeds, "Outerlimits" will have a whole new meaning! Any rumors on what they are using for power?
  5. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I just heard a rumor that they blew an engine testing & might be packing it in for now. With the price of the power plants, spares are pretty much non existant.
    I don't think they were actually going for 200mph, but certainly in the upper 180s.
    I hear the engines are in the neighborhood of 2000hp but I am going to keep the builders name out for now. Too many rumors of what's going on.
  6. catmando

catmando Senior Member

No news so far, so Mike must have called off that run.

CTdave did I meet you at LOTO two years ago? Did you have a boat in the Shootout?
  7. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Catman.......
    Mike hydro locked one of the motors while coming in from a test run. They will try it again soon I'm sure.
    Nope, I've never been to LOTO but you do know me from somewhere else. I raced an F2 Outerlimits and go by "DJD" on another forum. Nice to see you again!
  8. catmando

catmando Senior Member

DJD wasuuuup!! :) :) I was thinking you were Dave Callan. I met him at LOTO. Too bad about his delam and stuff at KW. :-( That Tencara was a great old warhorse. He'll be back in the hunt with his new 50' cat though.

www.callanmarine.com