Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Northern Lights

Tollycraft 57 & Egg Harbor 60 & Hatt 58YF

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Kafue, Jan 22, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Gentlemen,
    Some advice please. I have mentioned I am in the market for a used boat. My preferences are not set in concrete, but my absolute preference is a quality pilothouse or large Convertible. Unfortunately my "new" budget" does not allow for a replacement of an Offshore. My family enjoy deep sea fishing a LOT but not tourneys or such. Must have a good cockpit. Love LONG cruises up/down the coast.
    I am in NO hurry unless a sweetheart deal turns up.
    Right now I am VERY keen on a Tollycraft 57. Been on one & tried to buy it years ago in Aus but the broker dudded me & bought it himself without submitting my offer. Also have been offered a 60 Egg Hrb 1988 in the US. Then like the Hatteras 58YF but find the good ones over priced. Some advice from you all would be much appreciated.
    Thanks Kafue
  2. lowelp

lowelp New Member

I owned a Tolly 57 for a number of years.

Plus:
    1. Lots of living space for size
    2. GREAT flybridge
    3. Cockpit reasonable for fishing
    4. Good range at low speed for long legs
    Minus:
    1. No walk arounds make dock work and mooring more difficult
    2. Boat tended to take a lot of green water over the bow in a head sea
    3. Exterior stair to flybridge gets very wet and sends water up when seas off starboard.
    4. If powered by MTU's - stock boats could burn an engine because warning systems inadequate- need replacement "steam" sensors and gauges or alarms. Also the later boats had electronic dash switches that were unreliable. I spent a lot of money rewiring these and replacing with regular switches.
    5. Some parts difficult to find and support non existent because company does not exist.

We loved ours and travelled all over the United States and Mexico with it. However I later purchased a Westbay and felt the boat was a better sea boat and that the flybridge access from inside the pilot house and the walk arounds were far preferable.
  3. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Thanks

Many thanks,
    A Westbay Sonship would (and WILL) be on the list some time. Your comments appreciated.
    :)
  4. jsi

jsi New Member

Kafue -

Ahh...the 57's.

Built like a battleship.

However, they do not come out of the hole onto plane.

They just continue to dig a hole in the water.

I don't remember MTU's. At that point of time it was all Cats.

Interior space is fantastic.

Good workmanship, poor hullform/engineering.

How do I know?

Was there the day the IRS put the final padlocks on the doors.

jsi
  5. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Tolly 57

In other words is it like pushing a displacement without the "semi" designed at that time? Would I be better off buying the older 1988 Egg H or Hatt 58YF?
    Your comment is very important to me as a strong boat & good workmanship is one thing (or 2) but it sounds like an expensive vessel to run?
  6. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Purchase and annual budget?
  7. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Budget

Henning, good question, but rather not mention buying budget, never know whi is watrching;) BUT as for annual service budget, can do a few minor works myself but majors like overhaul engines etc are beyond me. On experience I allow 5% of purchase price to be the annual maintenance. Is this your estimate for an owner? Do you know anything about the construct of the Egg's? i.e full glass? Have been warned to watch out for moisture.
    Thanks
  8. Henning

Henning Senior Member

For an experienced and mechanically inclined owner operator starting with a boat in "good" condition or better, 5% is a workable figure. My typical client doesn't usually meet all of those criteria, so I give them a figure of 10% which will also add crew cost into the equation if needed.

The sport fish market isn't really my typical client, so my exposure to them is limited over the years. I had a 65 42' IIRC Egg for a while around the late 80s, and it was built very well. I checked out another guy on a new 37'er I think, but it was just a couple of days of boat handling and seamanship, never did any work on the boat. All in all though, it seemed to be built to handle offshore conditions. I watch for moisture on every composite boat cored or not. None of the boat building resins are impermeable to water and fiberglass is hygroscopic, so there is a potential that you can have moisture issues without coring.
  9. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Moisture etc

Thanks Henning. 5% is acceptable to me, although with boats it's all a daily thing, isn't it? Never had a crew, takes the fun out of it for me. Moisture scares the crap out of me as it runs to places you cannot get to.
    Will keep you in the loop how it pans out. Still waiting for HIN numbers.
    Kafue
  10. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Yeah, if you run and take care of your boat yourself and can handle 5%, you ought to be ok. The caveat there though is to make sure you are starting with a "good" or better condition boat. That's one of the problems that's building in the market right now. There's a lot of boats that have been on the market for a couple of years now, that the owners are spending minimum money on, and that includes just taking the boat out and running it. Lack of use is the worst thing on any machine. Machines take abuse better than they take neglect. There's a lot of stuff out there for sale that is going to take a pretty good whack of funds and work to get it back in full sea worthy commission. Not in and of itself a problem to buy a boat in need of a refit so long as it's priced correctly. Problem is a lot of owners are unrealistic with their prices (typically upside down in financing) which is why their boats aren't selling.

Every now and then I see someone post the word yacht and the word investment into the same sentence without a "not" in the middle....
  11. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Got ya

Got ya, Thanks
  12. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I know 2 people that own th Hat 58 and love them, I have been on them and think they are great boats. Well built and details are excellent, I've been on one Egg and like it. i don't know anything about the Tollycraft. Based on the 2 58s and following the 1510 club posts, you may want to read them, I'd recommend a Hatteras.
  13. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Hatteras 58YF

Many thanks hat4349.
    I did actually join the Hatteras owners forum (under a different name) and am keen. They were my first choice as I thought the prices were good for what they were, BUT, old boats need to be either priced for what condition they are or in good condition with reflective price. What I am finding, and it's a credit to Hatteras boats, is that they have such a loyal following that the prices are high for the age, which has led me to consider others. The Tolly is a BIG boat and a PILOTHOUSE. Luckily, I am in no hurry so I will keep researching. Again your input and advice is appreciated.
    Kafue
  14. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Don't worry about asking prices. Many deals are currently being made at half of asking prices, and serious sellers are adjusting to the new economy. Figure out what the boat is worth and what you are willing to pay and make an offer based on that rather than asking price.
  15. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

WOW 50% off??? :eek: Now that would make my buying range Very much improved. If anyone out there knows of a good deal feel free to PM me. :D
    Thanks Henning.